EAP220 Time server not getting connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-09-29 19:44:35
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi team

here another question on the EAP220 (latest firmware): The System / Time setting allows for NTPserver ip addresses to be included.

1) It only takes numerical IP addresses (not typical xxxx.nist.gov).
2) More importantly,even if I include correct numerical IP address (e.g. any example from http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi), and I save, and then click Get GMT, it would fail. Syncronising with PC is possible, though.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks!

Heiko
Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP220 Time server not getting connected
2016-10-29 20:26:44
I have no idea why the NIST servers don't respond to NTP requests, but if you use an IP from the ntp.org pool the EAP will set the time correctly.

Just lookup an IP for 0.pool.ntp.org or for 0.cc.pool.ntp.org (where cc is your ISO country code, for example ' de') and set this IP on the EAP.

Note: hard-coding the IP address of a NTP server is considered bad practice, because it prevents balancing the load on the servers in the pool. Keep in mind that this services are brought to you by volunteers and they expect you to use domain names rather than IP addresses. So please use ntp.org IPs for tests only, not for production use.

If you need an IP for production use, you could set up a local NTP service on your LAN's router (or any server) using official domain names for the NTP server pool and have it delegate NTP services downstream, so you can use the LAN IP of this NTP service on the EAPs.

Please also file a bug-report to your TP-Link support as I have already. This might help to raise the priority of this bug in TP-Link's bug tracking system. :)

I hope TP-Link will fix this bug soon - it's just a bug in the web GUI's java script doing input validation, not in the NTP-related parts of the firmware, so it's not difficult to fix.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 578

Replies: 1