Enforce same order of frames from a switch to multiple nodes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-10-05 23:43:24
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have what may be a silly question, but here goes.

I'm working on a home project developing a simple network protocol on top of UDP:
- In my scheme 6 nodes are connected by a direct gigabit ethernet link to a managed switch
- There is zero other traffic on this closed network
- The basic protocol I'm using is UDP multicast (but would be happy to change if that would help my issue)
- The 6 nodes are peers, so that any of them can send
- Each of the 6 nodes receives everything that any of the others send
- I have higher levels of the protocol that can handle missing packets, etc.. so the UDP is fine for this application, I believe
- I have very good control (afaik) of the network stack on the nodes from receipt of the UDP packets, up through the code for my protocol

I have what might be a strange requirement however. I need all 6 nodes to see the same sequence of frames on the network:
- I don't need this sequence to be the same as the order in which the frames are sent by the nodes
- I can handle missing frames okay, but the frames received need to be in the 'right' order
- I don't care what this order is at all
- I only care that the order of frames from the switch to each node is the same

My question is, is this possible? Is it possible with a TP-LINK managed switch? Ideally, it would be possible with the TP-LINK TL-SG2008 that I currently have, but don't mind getting something new if it would work.

Any suggestions gratefully received, many thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions,

Best Regards,

Michael.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Enforce same order of frames from a switch to multiple nodes
2016-10-27 09:00:10
I think you may want to develop a Multicast network application network. IGMP Snooping and IGMP Querier can help you to solve your problem.
Options