One DSL to two remote stations using 3 CPEs in total

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-11-12 17:20:44
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

As per the title...in the process of setting up a wireless network that consists of a DSL base with a CPE510 setup as AP, Station A. with a CPE510 (first client / transponder) with LoS to the DSL base over a distance of 1km and a link of 300Mbps which runs a TD-W9980 and Station B. (second client) which links to Station A. over a distance of 4km with a solid 50Mbps link via another CPE510 connected to a TD-W8980.

Between the DSL base and Station B. there is no LoS, so no link can be achieved, hence this topology was forced in effect.

The question is what setup to choose for Station A. CPE's to manage it's devices through the TD-W9980 DHCP's server independently off the DSL base, namely have it's own private pool of IP addresses and DHCP server which insures that if/when power is cut at the DSL base the devices connected to Station A's TD-W9980 can still 'talk' to one another and the link between Station A. and B. remains active for 'intranet' traffic. Bare in mind that Station A. needs to act as a transponder to Station B., too so in actual fact three independent networks need to be created that actually share one DSL connection to the internet via the DSL base...

Any help appreciated. :)
Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
11 Reply
Re:One DSL to two remote stations using 3 CPEs in total
2016-11-13 03:06:54

RTouris wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

As per the title...in the process of setting up a wireless network that consists of a DSL base with a CPE510 setup as AP, Station A. with a CPE510 (first client / transponder) with LoS to the DSL base over a distance of 1km and a link of 300Mbps which runs a TD-W9980 and Station B. (second client) which links to Station A. over a distance of 4km with a solid 50Mbps link via another CPE510 connected to a TD-W8980.

Between the DSL base and Station B. there is no LoS, so no link can be achieved, hence this topology was forced in effect.

The question is what setup to choose for Station A. CPE's to manage it's devices through the TD-W9980 DHCP's server independently off the DSL base, namely have it's own private pool of IP addresses and DHCP server which insures that if/when power is cut at the DSL base the devices connected to Station A's TD-W9980 can still 'talk' to one another and the link between Station A. and B. remains active for 'intranet' traffic. Bare in mind that Station A. needs to act as a transponder to Station B., too so in actual fact three independent networks need to be created that actually share one DSL connection to the internet via the DSL base...

Any help appreciated. :)

You must be set the links in both sides as bridge wds or Client router, every one have our self subnet and no lost conecction betwen they if the TD-W9980 DHCP's is outline... these two examples is for a one net no isolated or two nets isolated and last if you maybe need three nets no isolated....

IS NO RECOMEND uses 510 as repeater, this mode reduces the data transfer

Options
2016-11-13 17:27:38
Thanks for the reply Victor, hugely helpful.

Bare in mind that I have to achieve this using 3 CPEs, while the lowest you describe on the topologies you provided above is 4 CPEs..

One thing I must stress however is that I need all three sites to have their LAN IP independence / isolation, as each assigns their LAN IPs through their corresponding DHCP router server (not the CPE's one). So in effect what I'm after is the DSL base serving it's site's local LAN devices through it's router's DHCP server, transmit internet through WAN to station A., same for Station A. which serves the site's local LAN devices through the TD-W9980's DHCP (how to setup it in order to receive WAN from VDSL's base CPE510?), that also acts as a middle man repeater / transponder for the traffic between the VDSL base and site B. and lastly the same for Station B. that serves it's site's local LAN devices via the TD-W8980 DHCP server.

In terms of using Station A's CPE510 as a repeater how much of a throughput penalty would expect that to incur? what I'm after is serving internet to the remote Station B, that under the current circumstances is somewhat stranded to 4Mbps aDSL due to signal attenuation, but having already successfully deployed a link to Station A. at ~50Mbps I was hoping that I could get VDSL to both Stations A. and B. via the VDSL base using the topology described above. In other words anything above 20Mbps would be acceptable for Station B, even if Station A. acts as a repeater.

P.S.: I'm not interested in serving WiFi through the CPEs to any other WiFi-enabled devices at any of the locations above, hence I aim to have the CPEs DHCP servers disabled and have all traffic handled by the 3 different routers already operating at each corresponding site.

Options
2016-11-13 20:29:55

RTouris wrote

Thanks for the reply Victor, hugely helpful.

Bare in mind that I have to achieve this using 3 CPEs, while the lowest you describe on the topologies you provided above is 4 CPEs..

One thing I must stress however is that I need all three sites to have their LAN IP independence / isolation, as each assigns their LAN IPs through their corresponding DHCP router server (not the CPE's one). So in effect what I'm after is the DSL base serving it's site's local LAN devices through it's router's DHCP server, transmit internet through WAN to station A., same for Station A. which serves the site's local LAN devices through the TD-W9980's DHCP (how to setup it in order to receive WAN from VDSL's base CPE510?), that also acts as a middle man repeater / transponder for the traffic between the VDSL base and site B. and lastly the same for Station B. that serves it's site's local LAN devices via the TD-W8980 DHCP server.

In terms of using Station A's CPE510 as a repeater how much of a throughput penalty would expect that to incur? what I'm after is serving internet to the remote Station B, that under the current circumstances is somewhat stranded to 4Mbps aDSL due to signal attenuation, but having already successfully deployed a link to Station A. at ~50Mbps I was hoping that I could get VDSL to both Stations A. and B. via the VDSL base using the topology described above. In other words anything above 20Mbps would be acceptable for Station B, even if Station A. acts as a repeater.

P.S.: I'm not interested in serving WiFi through the CPEs to any other WiFi-enabled devices at any of the locations above, hence I aim to have the CPEs DHCP servers disabled and have all traffic handled by the 3 different routers already operating at each corresponding site.

Can you showme in a draw, your exactly topology, work mode of 510, and all devices actives and pasives of your net???
to sure the isolation betwhen sites is necesary one router in each site
the three draws shows no serving wifi directly to any where device... only show links point to point..

Regards...
Options
2016-11-14 05:22:23
Victor,

it's pretty simple actually..here's an outline let me know if you need further clarification

vDSL base - vDSL modem with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x - CPE setup as AP
Station A. - DSL modem (TD-W9980) with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x / CPE setup as? -> planning on disabling DSL connection and have DSL base share internet via CPE
Station B. - DSL modem (TD-W8980) with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x / CPE setup as client? -> planning on disabling DSL connection and have Station A. share internet via DSL base.

Regards
Options
2016-11-14 16:08:32

RTouris wrote

Victor,

it's pretty simple actually..here's an outline let me know if you need further clarification

yes... sorry. the language is a big limit, is no my native language... I understand this

What device exists on the network and what not ... I have doubts on how connect site 2 to site 1 and site 1 to base site ...
You say have only three CPE and no LOS betwhen site 2 and base site ...
And the last thing, you need that when the internet falls on base site, the three places should remain connected at LAN level .. ???

I'm sorry, it's a little confusing for me

Options
2016-11-15 03:08:19

RTouris wrote

One thing I must stress however is that I need all three sites to have their LAN IP independence / isolation, as each assigns their LAN IPs through their corresponding DHCP router server (not the CPE's one).

You could try configuring station A and B as AP Client Routers and the VDSL base as AP router. The latter one needs DHCP provided by the CPE for the AP (or even better static IPs). Its port is part of the local network at the VDSL base while its wireless net is a transfer net only.Station A's wireless net in STA mode (client) is part of the transfer net, while its wireless net in AP mode and its port is part of station A's local net (and the same is true to station B's role). Their IP's must be part of their local networks.

Therefore, you have three devices, but four logical networks. However, you could run into the hidden node problem if station B and the VDSL base share access to station A, but cannot see each other. Anyway, a "cleaner" setup would be to use two bridges with four CPE's between the local networks as Victor suggested, which also would avoid the hidden node problem.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2016-11-15 03:50:52
Nice thinking...So I take it in this case the modem/routers already operating at Stations A and B will need to be setup as plain bridges to the CPE (as in disable their DSL PPPoE interfaces) in order to handle the packets from the respective LAN CPE port while having their internal router DHCP take on any new local LAN/Wireless handshakes accordingly.

I'm not familiar with the hidden node problem. At this stage it's really unnecessary or rather not applicable for the three sites to talk to one another in terms seeing the devices in the local ARP table (such a setup would probably propagate through going for one AP at the VDSL base and two clients (?) (or a repeater at Station A and a client at Station B) at the remote sites, with other issues surfacing at that point - aka dependency on the router of the VDSL base to start with), it'd really be a redundancy for future applications, since we're mostly aiming towards keeping the LAN/site independence at this stage and see how things pan out in due time.

In terms of using MAXtream (TDMA) this has already been the case with the testing so far since no other WiFi devices are to connect to the CPEs as these will essentially only talk to one another to provide the links required.

On another note the geographical location of the site resembles that of the first drawing so in effect Station's B location covers both the VDSL base AND station B. within the 45º horizontal directional beamwidth, which was quite fortunate to say the least.
Options
2016-11-15 04:53:12
Correct, the routers are used in bridge mode in such setup.

The hidden node problem is caused by the Ethernet CSMA/CD scheme on shared wireless APs, it has nothing to do with ARP entries. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hidden_node_problem for an explanation. This problem may arise in every setup where repeaters are used (AP Client Router Mode is a repeater mode) and it is one of the most often appearing problems in larger WiFi setups while at the same time it is the most often unnoticed cause of problems. Unfortunately, TDMA (called MAXtream at TP-Link), which avoids the hidden node problem, is not possible in repeater modes - see post #10 from RTouris below.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2016-11-15 15:32:15
This FAQ gives a few insights on TP-Link's MAXtream - quoting for future reference

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-694.html
Options
2016-11-16 06:22:44

RTouris wrote

Victor,

vDSL base - vDSL modem with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x - CPE setup as AP
Station A. - DSL modem (TD-W9980) with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x / CPE setup as? -> planning on disabling DSL connection and have DSL base share internet via CPE
Station B. - DSL modem (TD-W8980) with LAN/WiFi clients - DHCP server active, IP pool 192.168.1.x / CPE setup as client? -> planning on disabling DSL connection and have Station A. share internet via DSL base.

Regards

In the following drawing, all sites share the primary router internet in the base site vdsl with the following conditions ...

1.- site B, dsl router disconnected, all devices connected by wire or wireless, will lose connection in their own network; Site A does not lose internet connection
2.- Site A, dsl router disconnected, all devices connected by wire or wireless, will lose connection in their own network; Site B does not lose internet connection (unless the repeater in A site is also disconnected)
3.- VDSL Base, DSL Router disconnected, all devices connected by wire or wireless, will lose connection in their own network; Sites A and B do not lose connection to their internal network, but both lose internet connection

Regards

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1842

Replies: 11

Related Articles