TL-R470T+ WAN1 not getting dynamic IP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-29 06:38:48 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:18:51
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

We had a client using a TL-R470T+ that would drop the internet connection at times (they are only using WAN1 currently). After taking a look at the router, it was unable to detect the dynamic IP using WAN1 at certain times. At this point (about 2 weeks later) it doesn't seem to ever properly detect the dynamic IP using WAN1.
Problem: Internet goes down intermittently and either resumes within a short time, or does not resume until a reboot of the router. Problem may progress to the point where no Internet is available at all even after a reboot.
Symptoms: Router logs show "WAN1:DHCP send DHCP-DISCOVERY timeout" errors. Switching WAN cable to another WAN port (WAN2 in my case) allows the router to detect the dynamic IP after approximately 10 seconds and normal operation resumes. If the cable is switched back to WAN1, no IP is detected and the logs show the same DHCP-DISCOVERY errors.
Troubleshooting: Switched WAN cable to WAN2 and observed correct operation. Tried updated firmware to latest version for V3 (no difference). Reset to defaults (no difference). Moved router to a different environment (LAN output on another router plugged into R470T+ WAN ports - same behavior observed - nothing on WAN1 while WAN2 detects the IP and allows for proper operation).

Since this product is covered for 5 years, I tried the live chat for support but was informed that it was only for consumer-grade products. They gave me the proper support number for Business items = 1-844-2TP-4SMB
Information is also available at this link = http://www.tp-link.com/us/support/replacement-warranty#box_9

I called support and they issued an RMA for my device after listening to the steps I had gone through. Unlike some other posters on this board, I had no trouble at all with support once I answered their (reasonable) questions and provided all the information that I knew. Hopefully this will help someone else. Otherwise, the device is great for the price.
Luckily our client has an uncomplicated setup and can do without WAN failover for now, they are actually running off an 841n believe it or not. Those things are amazing for the price, especially considering the 3rd party firmware flexibility. Anyway, good luck to anyone with a similar problem!
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-R470T+ WAN1 not getting dynamic IP
2016-12-30 14:07:37 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:18:51
hey dude , I did not face such issue as you described, anyway thanks for the information
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1195

Replies: 1

Related Articles