Antenna suggestions for extending residential wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-04 03:55:35
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I need to extend the WiFi signal from my house to my Mother-in-law's house which is about 50' away from the location I plan to place an antenna. I also plan on building a shop on my property at some point in the future which will be about 150 - 200 feet away from the antenna location. Both locations are line of sight. You can see the layout of our property and also the areas I need to have covered on the attached photos.

I " THINK" I can use a TL-ANT2412D to accomplish what I'm wanting to do but I'm not sure what other components I need. The All-In-One cable modem/WiFi/router (Comcast) is in an upstairs expandable area and I plan on attaching a network cable from a router port and run it through the attic (about 70' I suspect) to the southeast corner of the house where I plan to mount the antenna so it is very close to the MIL house and also directly in line with the area the shop will be built. (See 2nd picture)

My questions are:
- Does this look like the best place to mount the antenna?
- What other components do I need in addition to the antenna itself?
- Does TP-Link also have mounting masts that I could attach to the side of the house and extend beyond the soffit to get the antenna out away from the house?
- What distance will I likely achieve with this setup?
- Do I need to place another antenna on the MIL house or on the shop when it is built?

Thanks for all your help. I'm completely unfamiliar with extending WiFi from one area to another.

Mike
File:
WIFI Antenna layout.jpgDownload
WIFI Antenna areas to cover.jpgDownload
Options
6 Reply
Re:Antenna suggestions for extending residential wifi
2017-01-04 13:43:24
You could use a CPE210 to cover that particular area, it has an opening of the radiation pattern of 60 ° horizontal and 30 ° vertically, so it can cover the desired area, apart from being in 2.4GHz where any device Mobile you can connect on this frequency ...

Now if you want to cover a circular area you could use a TL-WA5210 as this one has a RPSMA connect to connect the outdoor omnidirectional antenna that you mention through a pigtail ... Consider that with the 5210 will only achieve speeds of 54Mbps theoretical, in practice would only be 20 to 30 mbps ...

Otherwise this type of design does not require special considerations ...

Regards...
Options
2017-01-04 21:27:14

MikeA57 wrote

My questions are:
- Does this look like the best place to mount the antenna?
- What other components do I need in addition to the antenna itself?
- Does TP-Link also have mounting masts that I could attach to the side of the house and extend beyond the soffit to get the antenna out away from the house?
- What distance will I likely achieve with this setup?
- Do I need to place another antenna on the MIL house or on the shop when it is built?

The best place for an omnidirectional antenna is in the middle of the area it should cover. But the TL-ANT2412D is strong enough that you could mount it on your house somewhere in a line of sight to the MIL house and the future shop. But: be aware that trees are signal damping obstacles, especially in summer, not so much in winter time!

Anyway, the TL-ANT2412D should cover this area easily. You would need a pigtail cable to connect the antenna to any WiFi router with RP-SMA connectors (most commonly used). This is such a pigtail: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5067_TL-ANT200PT.html

Note that with outdoor antennas you have to take care of lightning protection, so you should use a lightning protector/surge arrester. See https://commotionwireless.net/docs/build/grounding-lightning-protection/

TP-Link does not sell antenna masts as far as I know, but ordinary satellite masts usually do the job.

Distance for omnidirectional outdoor antennas such as the TL-ANT2412D could be anything in the range from 100 to 600 meters (sorry, no feet here ;) ) depending on signal loss due obstacles (even air will damp the signal, but also rain, snow, leafs and so on). But beware of the possible distance of client devices such as SmartPhone's, tablet's or laptop's antennas. It is not sufficient that the client device can receive a WiFi signal, they also must be able to send a powerful enough WiFi signal back to the central antenna!

In the MIL house there should be no problem to use typical client devices directly without an additional AP/antenna, but in your future shop it could be a problem (for your client devices, not the TP-Link antenna!), because client devices (laptops, SmartPhones) most often do have much weaker antennas and so it could be of benefit to install an AP at the shop also. For example, TP-Link's CPE210 is a good choice, because it is an AP with built-in antennas. Place such a device behind the shop, so it covers the shop, too. BTW: the advantage of the CPE210 versus TL-ANT2412D in your main house would be the combination of an AP with up to 300 Mbps (@channel width 40 Mhz) or up to 150 Mbps (@channel width 20 MHz) speed with an antenna and easy lightning protection through simple grounding of the device.

Regarding speeds: manufactures specify the maximum speed of wireless frames in the specs and product descriptions. This is not the speed of data packets, which must be encapsulated in wireless frames! You can calculate up to 50% overhead in the 2,4 GHz band meaning that if your AP can achieve 150 Mbps on the WiFi it will perform with about 75 to 80 Mbps on the Ethernet interface. If there are obstacles in the way between client device and antenna, throughput will decrease b/c the client device and the AP will negotiate a lower transmission speed (down to 1 Mbps wireless speed in worst case).

Best is to try the ideal combination of APs and antennas in practice. Hope this helps!
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-04 21:51:57
Forgot something: If you build the shop on your own property, you could also consider connecting it through a fiber cable (I would do so, since it is preferable to WiFi).

You will have to install cabling for power supply of the shop anyway, right? If so, install an (outdoor) fiber cable.

TP-Link has affordable media converters which would allow to connect them to a switch in your house and to transfer data through a fiber into the shop. In the shop you could then install an ordinary indoor AP (not necessarily a router) - for example the TL-WA901ND - if you need WiFi there in addition to a local (wired) network.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-01-05 11:58:41
Thanks Victor. I am wondering what the connection speeds would be if I use the CPE210? Also, if I use the TL-WA5210 and the antenna will the signal be strong enough to cover inside the main house as well? As shown in the photo, the house is a 2 story set up in an "L" shape and some of the areas inside are not receiving as strong a WiFi signal as I would like. So I was hoping that it might help inside the main house too.

I'll keep looking and studying.
Options
2017-01-05 12:20:17
Great info R1D2! Thank you. I looked at both items that Victor mentioned and I'll also examine the options you've given me. I'm still studying and trying to determine the best route to take. I really appreciate the help.

Mike
Options
2017-01-05 12:29:37
The cable modem/router/WiFi box is an ARRIS TG-862G/CT 802.11N unit and it has no outputs other than Ethernet (and WiFi of course!) https://www.amazon.com/TG862G-CT-Wireless-Gateway-802-11b-GigaPort/dp/B014VVHH90

E
DIT: No CONNECTIONS, not outputs.Got my gozintas, gozouttas, and bi-ways mixed up.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 967

Replies: 6

Related Articles