BT Home Hub 5 with TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-01-26 23:29:42 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:49:54
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

We are working on getting our business set up and I am going to be installing access points in to two accommodations. I have bought the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router (which is specifically designed for two incoming ISP WAN connections) and we also have a BT Openreach Modem with the DSL coming in and connecting using the Ethernet to the BT Home Hub 5, the TP-LINK router detects that the Home Hub 5 is connected to it and working, but it is not giving out separate Internet to the devices from the WAN of the TP-LINK router.

I use this 'LAN to WAN casacading' method which will hopefully help to give out Internet from the Home Hub 5 -> TP-Link router -> Wired devices. However as discovered that it is giving out Internet by 'LAN to LAN casacading'. Unfortunately, at the moment, TP-LINK router does not give out a separate Internet connection from the Home Hub 5. But with the Modem, it does have two LAN Ethernet ports (LAN2 port is disabled and can't enable), but the moment the BT Modem is currently connected from the DSL to LAN1 Ethernet port to the Home Hub 5 and it works.

QUESTIONS
Question 1: Do you think the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router is not specifically designed for this type of connection as it is designed for two ISP connections to the wired devices?

Question 2: Do you think the most causes of this is something to do with the blocking from the Home Hub 5 and not creating a connection on to the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router?

Question 3: Would the LAN to WAN cascading work from the Home Hub 5 to the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router?

Question 4: Is it beneficial to unlock the BT Openreach Modem to have LAN2 enabled for the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router instead of connecting from the Home Hub 5?

With lots of help and support would be much appreciated! I need a solution ASAP!

Best regards,
Ben
Options
1 Reply
Re:BT Home Hub 5 with TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router
2017-02-02 23:20:19 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:49:54
Hello again,

I have found a solution which will close this forum thread. I had spoken to the TP-LINK customer support for the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router. They give me this information below and I have simplified it below for everybody who addresses this problem will have a clear solution to work with. This solution will have a series of steps listed below.

1. Change the IP address of the TP-LINK TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router to 192.168.0.1
2. Reboot the router by unplugging and plugging it back in
3. Once the router is switched back on, you must do the following (only works on a Windows computer): Go and open up the Network and Sharing Center by right clicking on the network icon on the bottom right corner of your screen > On your left pane, click on Change adapter settings > Find your Ethernet connection and then go to Properties > Select on Use the following DNS addresses > Insert the numbers in the Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1 > Click OK twice > Close the master window
4. Go to your browser and type in http://192.168.0.1/
5. It will now ask you for the router's username and password which is: admin/admin
6. Log in and check the connection, if the connection is up and running - then your connected to the Internet from the main ISP or from router to router.

If you are having any other problems, please contact TP-LINK customer support.

Best
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 839

Replies: 1