Not Rocket Science Setup Goals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-15 23:32:31
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I want all the things attached to the network via my hardwired stuff plugged into my router/switch, my TP-Link EAP225 AP, and my TP-Link EAP245 AP to be able to talk to each other.

I want them all to get a 192.168.0.x DHCP/Static IP as they do now with my router running DD-WRT. I can't seem to set my TP-Link APs properly and I'm not quite sure where to start reading. Conceptually it isn't complicated, but not beginner stuff in actual practice it seems either. As much as it pains me to adimit it, I am not far enough into the "intermediate level" of understanding to accomplish this at this time. But, I'm no insect operating off of 100% genetic instinct-- I can grow and if pointed in the right direction this task is probably within my capabilities.

I don't need my devices to automatically switch from one AP to the other sharing SSIDs or anything-- that can be 100% negotiated by the devices when they deem the signal differential sufficient. I don't know that my needs require my APs to work together. More simple, more better... right?

tl;dr: 802.11b --> 802.11ac
I have old stuff that needs to connect to the newer stuff. My toddler daughter's ASUS 1st Gen Nexus 7 Android tablet (802.11n) for instance and our new TCL TV with Roku built-in (802.11ac) so she can start watching Moana in stunning UHD with the Roku App. The boys have an 802.11b laptop running as a music server at night... I think that is the oldest crustiest thing we've got. My IoT stuff is 802.11g/n. The wireless printers are 802.11g/n. Our phones are 802.11ac. I have a small server for Virtual Machines that has a HAPRoxy VM for my dumb 802.11n IP Cams for viewing over SSL away from home. Other stuff, but that is the bulk of it.

I don't suppose it matters, but I'll likely get a third AP for the back yard in the near future...
Options
2 Reply
Re:Not Rocket Science Setup Goals
2017-04-16 03:38:25
It's not complicated to set up the APs. First of all, if you use them in standalone mode, you don't need the EAP controller software. Just connect to the web UI built into the EAPs and setup the SSID (WLAN name) and encryption/WPA2 key settings.

To do so, set your PC to a static IP in the 192.168.0.0 subnet (e.g. to IP 192.168.0.10). Then connect your PC to the EAP directly, start a browser and load the web UI by addressing http://192.168.0.254. Log in using admin/admin for Username/Password an there you go.

Although the EAPs could use an IP address assigned by your DD-WRT router via DHCP, I would recommend to use static IP addresses for the EAPs themselfs to be able to administrate them without having to set your PC to the above mentioned IP. So, usually the first setting is to change the IP of the EAPs to the subnet you're using for your LAN (let's say 192.168.1.0). Choose two free IPs for the two EAPs and don't forget to change the PC's IP right after saving the setting. Then configure the rest, it's very intuitive and much fewer settings as in DD-WRT.

Anyway, the documentation may be helpful if questions arise: http://static.tp-link.com/EAP225_V2_User Guide.pdf

As for the WiFi standards, both EAPs support 802.11b/g/n/ac out of the box, so no special setup is necessary.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Not Rocket Science Setup Goals
2017-05-10 17:28:35

BradChesney79 wrote

I want all the things attached to the network via my hardwired stuff plugged into my router/switch, my TP-Link EAP225 AP, and my TP-Link EAP245 AP to be able to talk to each other. I don't need my devices to automatically switch from one AP to the other sharing SSIDs or anything-- that can be 100% negotiated by the devices when they deem the signal differential sufficient. I don't know that my needs require my APs to work together. More simple, more better... right?..

Hi Brad, I am a little confused about what you said. You mentioned you wanted all the things attached to the network including your EAP225,and EAP245 to talk to each other. Do you just need to know how to get EAP225,and EAP245 to work. If so, that would be simple. I think R1D2 has answered it perfectly. Simply use them in standalone mode, and you can set the same SSID on the two APs.

If you want something more advanced like fast roaming, neither EAP225 nor EAP245 supports that function.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 495

Replies: 2