High CPU usage on LAN1 / PoE Passthrough AP CPE510, it's UI then becomes unresponsive.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

High CPU usage on LAN1 / PoE Passthrough AP CPE510, it's UI then becomes unresponsive.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-04-22 05:09:21
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

just setup and activated yet another simple PtP link (AP#2/Client#2) 2.5km away having just acquired a missing CPE to act as a client. In the current setup I thought it'd be a good idea to tryout the LAN1 / Passthrough connection to do exactly that, as in pass power and data over from the existing AP#1 to AP#2 residing on the same mast with a completely different heading however (these all being part of the same LAN in effect).

For the first couple of days it was all good, however as of today morning there's something fishy going on...The CPU on the Pass-through powered CPE / AP#2 stays constantly high at well above 40% all the time with virtually no traffic at the respective link to to the client to a point that after a while the CPE even becomes unresponsive to access via it's UI...

I've rebooted the unit a few times so far but to no avail, so next step will obviously be resetting to factory defaults and setting up again from scratch. One thing that's puzzling me though is that this specific CPE was used as an AP for another link for a few months now with no issues whatsoever, which makes me thing maybe this is due to the pass-through topology perhaps?

Any feedback hugely appreciated.
Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
6 Reply
Re:High CPU usage on LAN1 / PoE Passthrough AP CPE510, it's UI then becomes unresponsive.
2017-04-22 06:54:40

RTouris wrote

One thing that's puzzling me though is that this specific CPE was used as an AP for another link for a few months now with no issues whatsoever, which makes me thing maybe this is due to the pass-through topology perhaps?

Probably a configuration error? I use two APs on the same mast and same network powered by one PoE injector for months now w/o a problem, but it was a mixed 210 and 510 setup.

Having two CPEs on one PoE should work according to http://www.tp-link.com/at/faq-695.html, but you should check the cable. A good cable such as ToughCable is certainly preferable for 24 watts, since it has solid wires as with installation cables and not braid as with ordinary patch cables.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:High CPU usage on LAN1 / PoE Passthrough AP CPE510, it's UI then becomes unresponsive.
2017-04-26 02:00:26
Just a follow-up on this.

I haven't had the time to visit the site and perform the reset / upgrade yet, however I did notice that while accessing the "passthrough'd" AP remotely initiating a survey the particular AP drops the active link to the client CPE, consequently the Transmit CCQ indicator drops to zero and doesn't re-establish transmission on its own...It needs either a change in the wireless settings to begin transmitting again or a reboot..which I find strange since all other non-passthrough'd APs don't exhibit such a behaviour keeping their respective links active during a survey..

Could it be that the PoE injector runs out of juice during the survey and in effect the CPE chooses to only power the survey and in retrospect drops the active link in order to keep itself powered-on? Can't think of anything else atm, need to investigate further... :/
Options
2017-04-26 06:12:04

RTouris wrote

Could it be that the PoE injector runs out of juice during the survey and in effect the CPE chooses to only power the survey and in retrospect drops the active link in order to keep itself powered-on? Can't think of anything else atm, need to investigate further... :/

Not very likely IMHO. I had a CPE210 with pass-through to a CPE510 and did lot of surveys on both of them w/o breaking anything. If power drops due to overload, only result could be a reboot of the second CPE if power comes back to full level again. If the first CPE would disable pass-through until it is being restarted, you would see a full black-out of the second one.

But if you do a survey remotely (over the wireless link), the radio link breaks. The WiFi adapter has to be switched into monitoring mode for a survey.
Options
2017-04-26 19:13:38

R1D2 wrote

But if you do a survey remotely (over the wireless link), the radio link breaks. The WiFi adapter has to be switched into monitoring mode for a survey.

This is true and is indeed the case, however the symptoms in my case are not over a remote **wireless** link, I'm merely accessing the router via it's IP from a remote site. So in actual fact the router, AP for all intents and purposes are both still on-line...However what's even more puzzling is that regardless of the link that breaks the AP CPE refuses to rebroadcast without user intervention..
Options
2017-04-26 20:52:39

RTouris wrote

However what's even more puzzling is that regardless of the link that breaks the AP CPE refuses to rebroadcast without user intervention..

This is very strange, indeed. It should recover automatically after a loss of the signal. Do you use a fixed channel or auto-selection in the 5 GHz band?
Options
2017-04-26 21:24:53

R1D2 wrote

This is very strange, indeed. It should recover automatically after a loss of the signal. Do you use a fixed channel or auto-selection in the 5 GHz band?

Same under both circumstances... :/
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1168

Replies: 6

Related Articles