Question about deploying EAP APs with Free EAP controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-06 19:09:13
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello to the forum!

We are considering the option to purchase a small number (<10) of EAP family Access Points (probably the 115 or 120) and at the same time deploy the Free EAP controller. I have gone through the features of the devices however I want to make sure before I proceed to purchase them.
We already have a L3 switch for managing intervlan switching.

I wanted to ask the forum if we can form a solution using the above, to support the following configuration:

1) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (1), with WPA-Enterprise (RADIUS)
2) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (2), with WPA-Enterprise (RADIUS)
3) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (3), backed by active portal for guest users.

I already have a RADIUS server so I do not want to set up the EAP controller for this purpose.
Ideally, I would like to have the option to write my own scripts for setting up various configuration options on the Access Points in case I am constrained by the controller for any reason.
Even more ideally, I would like to have the option to incorporate 3rd party AP's in this setup (Cisco 1620) but this is not mandatory.

Thanks
Options
8 Reply
Re:Question about deploying EAP APs with Free EAP controller
2017-05-08 15:14:38
I would like to have the option to write my own scripts for setting up various configuration options on the Access Points in case I am constrained by the controller for any reason.

Wondering that what configuration options do you want to change? You can post the detailed requirement here.

I would like to have the option to incorporate 3rd party AP's in this setup (Cisco 1620) but this is not mandatory.

For this feature, I guess no... As I know, the controller adopts private protocol which is not compatible with other brand's products.
Options
2017-05-08 15:30:27
Thanks for the reply.

zaizai wrote

Wondering that what configuration options do you want to change? You can post the detailed requirement here.

Don't know really, I guess I will have to put it to production first and see what options are provided by the controller. It was just an enquiry as I haven't worked with these devices before.
Options
2017-05-11 14:56:32
Any hints on these?
I wanted to ask the forum if we can form a solution using the above, to support the following configuration:

1) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (1), with WPA-Enterprise (RADIUS)
2) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (2), with WPA-Enterprise (RADIUS)
3) 1 SSID with its own VLAN tag (3), backed by active portal for guest users.

I already have a RADIUS server so I do not want to set up the EAP controller for this purpose.
Options
2017-05-11 17:11:28
Not very clear with

Why don't you want to set up the EAP controller since you mentioned that you will deploy the Free EAP controller?

Anyway, the radius server is just for authentication, no matter for standalone mode or with EAP controller, I think you should be able to realize your requirement 1~3.
Options
2017-05-11 17:19:34
The main utility of the EAP controller will be the captive portal and potentially the monitoring tools that ship along.
It is therefore mandatory to be able to configure the AP's to use a designated RADIUS server for authenticating the (1)(2) SSID's and the Free EAP controller for SSID (3).
Options
2017-05-12 09:29:06
and the Free EAP controller for SSID (3)

Actually, without EAP controller, the EAP also support some portal types in standalone mode (managed by its own web interface), including no authentication, simple password and external radius server.
So I think you can configure SSID3 without setting up the EAP controller.
Options
2017-05-12 17:09:18

zaizai wrote

Actually, without EAP controller, the EAP also support some portal types in standalone mode (managed by its own web interface), including no authentication, simple password and external radius server.
So I think you can configure SSID3 without setting up the EAP controller.

Yes of course, but I need the users to be able to roam within my network and not re-registering at each AP every time.
Options
2017-05-12 17:30:51
I think it does no matter with the EAP controller. Actually even you configure the EAP with EAP controller, the users still need to re-registered at each AP.
The controller only distribute the configuration and provide the access for Radius server, it will not register the authentication result on itself.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1250

Replies: 8

Related Articles