EAP-Software: Why not available for Linux / as Docker image

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-05-11 13:54:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there,

I am a mac pureplayer and just bought EAP 330 APs.
So far, I am very happy but delivering only windows software seems to be "from the past".
I understand that it's purely java (tomcat) & mongodb and ask myself why there is no linux version publicly available?

If you would just release a docker, this would be really awesome.

Tobias
Options
68 Reply
Re:EAP-Software: Why not available for Linux / as Docker image
2017-05-12 10:58:42
Thank you for your feedback. Now our developers are working on it. It will be coming soon, please keep an eye on our website.
Options
2017-05-12 15:08:52
I managed to port it to unix on my own, it should be fairly easy.

I think there should also be efforts put into the stability and functionality of the tool. Compared to Ubiquity there's way to go.

Tobias
Options
2017-05-12 19:48:18

tplink_smb wrote

Thank you for your feedback. Now our developers are working on it. It will be coming soon, please keep an eye on our website.

Very welcome! If you need beta tester for EAC running on Linux and/or Mac OS, I would be glad to help.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-05-24 19:16:37
any release date available already?

Grtz,
E-raser
Options
2017-05-25 14:30:43
After spending some time with the software I decided to return the devices and switch to Ubiquiti.

Just for you to know how important it is to have
a. Good Software
which runs on
b. Most Servers

Both is not the case for your devices. It is a pity as hardware seemed solid.

Tobias
Options
2017-05-29 02:35:36
Looking to have it on linux. As already asked, have a docker set available, I would be able to run it on my synology. As this box is always on, it would be a perfect match.
Options
Linux ASAP please (Ubuntu server package) for AP controller service & captive portal
2017-06-07 02:01:29
Same here. I have just finished a cluster WiFi install with a captive portal as follows:

PoE switch TP-Link TL-SG1008PE
[*]WiFi access points Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US
[*]Controller / captive portal for the access points running on Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS (with Gnome WM)
Ubiquiti's Linux AP controller was super-easy to set up on Ubuntu (standard pkg, just add source), and runs rock-solid as a Linux service. 0 problems so far. VERY polished and slick web UI.

EXCEPT: Ubiquiti as a business has this oily feel - they try to collect usage data (no complete opt-out - I had to configure firewall) and leave gaps in their pretty UI charts with "Buy this other piece of Ubiquiti hardware to populate data here" type messages instead of simply omitting the inapplicable sections.

I far prefer TP-Link's no-nonsense approach and hardware value. BUT it HAS to run on Ubuntu Linux, and it has to be ROCK SOLID.

It's 2017. I'm not paying for a Windows Server 2016 and supporting it just to run a few access points in this little hotel or that restaurant, nor relying on a Windows 10 workstation (requiring a domain controller with group policies and/or lots of labor to harden to unattended server standards - with follow-ups after every major update as they keep adding and re-enabling junk), nor relying on Windows 7, no longer fully supported. TP-Link folks, forget about Windows head-end in a small/medium business context, just forget it! Maybe for simple end-user self-installs 5 yrs ago it was a good idea, but not for someone supporting more than one installation and wanting to be able to sleep at night.

Alex
Options
2017-06-07 18:23:13
Well said, Alex! I'm waiting for Linux support for TP-Link HW for a very long time now, b/c I don't like UBNT's attitude of doing business (which just reminds me of the MS way of doing things to bind customers to them). Now, as the PharOS controller for outdoor APs from TP-Link has become available for Linux, I hope that a Linux version of the EAP Controller and also the Network Management System tpNMS will eventually follow.

We would be able to sell much more EAPs than we are doing now if the Controller would be available for Linux.

Windows just doesn't play any role in professional networking environments with the demand of continuous 24/7 service availability. Since TP-Links corporate motto is The reliable choice - what is definitely true for their hardware, which unexceptionally runs embedded Linux - I still wonder why they rely on an unreliable system such as Windows for accompanying software.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2017-06-22 00:38:38
Would you like to explain how you did it ?
Options
2017-07-17 10:21:31
Dear all members, glad to tell you that the Linux version controller has been developed and is during the uploading process, it will be online within several days.
The software will support Ubuntu:16.04/17.04; CentOS: 7.2/7.3; Fedora: 24/25, please keep an eye on our official website.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 13774

Replies: 68