Multiple VLans on one AP?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-03 08:49:50
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I read the online documentation, and the example they uses is one AP on one Vlan, and another AP on a 2nd Vlan. Does the EAP controller / AP's have the ability to broadcast multiple SSID's on different VLans?

Most managed wireless systems I have run into do, but I'm confused as to why they would use the most un-real world example out there lol.

I'm looking at 3 VLANS, 0 is our private network, 40 is voice, and 99 is guest wifi. Simply put, will all 3 show up on each AP?

Thanks.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Multiple VLans on one AP?
2017-06-04 04:17:05
Yes, the EAPs do provide VLAN-based Multi-SSID mode. Single-Band EAPs such as the EAP110 provide up to 8 SSIDs, while Dual-Band EAPs such as the EAP225 can provide 16 SSIDs (8 on each band). The LAN port then will become a trunk (tagged) port.

The example in the docs you refer to probably was FAQ #1365 describing a scenario to manage EAPs in different VLANs with a single EAP controller, which is a common scenario in big installations with several branches or isolated subnetworks, but this is completely unrelated to VLAN-based Multi-SSID mode.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Re:Multiple VLans on one AP?
2017-06-05 02:19:35
Thanks! That is indeed the document I was referring to. What was perplexing is that it showed both AP's connected to the same switch, just on different VLans. We have been using the HP MSM series products, but they are incredibly overpriced, and we seem to have A LOT of issues with some of them. I can buy 10 EAP120's for the same cost as one HP AP.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2321

Replies: 2

Related Articles