TL_ER5120_V2 - Error in log - <date/time> <4> Detected large ping attack dropped x packets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL_ER5120_V2 - Error in log - <date/time> <4> Detected large ping attack dropped x packets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-06-21 05:05:23 - last edited 2021-08-21 07:30:46
Model : TL_ER5120

Hardware Version : 2

Firmware Version :

ISP : Cogeco (Ontario Canada)

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, however, I am seeking some guidance/help to identify and resolve a recent message showing up in our router log. I have started to see a series of error messages, all very similar however I don't really know where to begin to investigate.

Error Message looks like this:
<4> : Detected large ping attack, dropped X packets

Generally, these come in bursts throughout the day. I am not sure if these are from internal or external.

This is a small business with a flat network and less than 25 devices connected via the LAN and/or WIFI. There are a few PC's & MAC's, a couple of printers, 6 WIFI access points and a few other Apple TV devices which connect via wireless. We have 1 network switch, 1 router, then the connection to the ISP. There have been no new devices added recently, all PC's have up-to-date MS patches.

If they are coming from outside I assume I would need to contact our ISP for support. However, if they are coming from internal where do I begin to look.

Thank you for your help
Alan
Options
1 Reply
Re:TL_ER5120_V2 - Error in log - <4> Detected large ping attack dropped x packets
2017-08-16 16:26:20 - last edited 2021-08-21 07:30:46
Hi dude, I think it should from the outside. You can check if you enable the Block Large PING from WAN option in the firewall.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3823

Replies: 1