AC500 guest wlan and general topology advice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-08-11 19:14:46
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm planning a network setup based on these components.

TL-ER6120 PLC Router
[*]AC500 WLAN Controller
[*]5 * CAP1750 APs
[*]2-3 * T1600G-28PS (24-port L3-POE-Switch)
Furthermore i'd like to reuse some existing network components:
1 * TPLink TL-SG2424P (24-port L3-POE-Switch)
[*]2 * HP ProServe (24-port L1-Switch)
The only construction related constraint: Two switches are going to be located in different, but not distant offices (~25m), and they are going to be connected via fibre.

Hosts are roughly:
25 IP-Phones
[*]100 PCs+Mobile Devices
The TL-ER6120 router is supposed to handle WAN and DHCP.

I need to setup a guest wifi and look for some advice. Guests must be isolated from the internal network and be able to connect to the internet. Is that solely configured in the AC500? I suppose there's no dedicated option for that in the web interface, like e.g. some consumer routers, right?

I'm also wondering what's the best way to wire up the Router, WLAN Controller and Switches. Would the AC500 better be plugged into the Router or one of the L3-Switches?

Thanks in advance.
Options
4 Reply
Re:AC500 guest wlan and general topology advice
2017-08-16 18:04:00
Hi deschler,

According your requirement, I think your purpose can be achieved by using the devices you mentioned.

1. First, you can create a separated VLAN for the guest in the switch to isolate the guests from the Intranet.
2. Second, you can create a new SSID and bind this SSID with that Guest VLAN. You can refer to this thread for help
http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?99025-How-to-configure-Multiple-SSIDs-with-Multiple-VLANs-on-CAP-amp-AC-products

In fact, you can connect the AC Controller anywhere as long as it can reach the CAPs. It's recommended to put the AC with the same VLAN as CAP, so it can assign IP address for the CAP directly. Otherwise, you need to configure the Option 60 and Option 138 in the DHCP Server so that it can assign IP address for the CAPs. Please note that the TL-ER6120 v2 doesn't support Option 138 and Option 60.
Options
2017-10-26 22:19:53
Sorry for getting back to this late. Your answer and link was very helpful, thanks alot!

Do you see any problems using the AC500 as only DHCP service and disable it on the router (and switches)?
In the AC500 interface multiple DHCP servers for the VLANs can be created quite easily.
Options
2017-10-27 11:48:46
Hi Deschler,

yes, we can.

1. firstly, you need to create multiple IP Pools for the DHCP Server in AC.
2. Secondly, you need to create VLAN and VLAN interface in the AC. The DHCP Server assigns IP address according to the VLAN interface.
3. Configure the uplink port as Trunk port to make the clients and the corresponding DHCP are in the same L2 network. (we cannot use the DHCP Relay function in the T1600G-28PS, because the AC's DHCP Server doesn't support that)
Options
2017-10-27 15:53:34
Sounds like a plan. Thanks again!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1114

Replies: 4