Portal page not accessible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-24 22:01:18
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20190823 Rel.42002

Having a problem setting up portal page for one of the WiFi SSIDs.

I have multiple WiFis on different VLANS and they work fine. The OC200 is on the same VLAN as the management port for the APs.

If I configure a portal with custom logo and background image they are not able to be shown on the client's device - presumably because they don't have access to the management VLAN (and nor should they!)

Is it possible to push these portal page assets out to the APs so they work in the same way as uncontrolled individual APs?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Portal page not accessible
2019-12-25 00:29:18

As you have guessed already, OC200 needs to be reachable for the clients which want to use the portal. OC200 itself does not use VLANs. The »Management VLAN« setting in OC200 applies to the EAP's Ethernet interfaces only, but not to the Ethernet interface of OC200.

Even with Omada Software Controller running on a Linux server – where you could force tagged traffic to/from the controller – it's currently not possible to bind the portal functions to a specific VLAN-aware interface while binding the management UI to another VLAN.

I would also like to see more fine-grained control for the interfaces of Omada Controller – not only different interfaces for the mgmt UI and the portal, but also for communication with a mongod already running on the system (instead of starting its own instance). I already did suggest this to TP-Link.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2019-12-25 11:18:35

Thanks for your reply, @R1D2 

This seems crazy - the functionality that is available on a stand-alone AP is effectively being taken away for those being properly managed with secure management!

For this to work will need some changes by TP-Link. Given that other configuration is downloaded to the APs by the controller, why couldn't the logos & images be pushed out too? Surely this would be the most secure and sensible way of getting this to work?

Or has someone got a better idea?

Options
2019-12-25 21:39:00

smadds wrote

Given that other configuration is downloaded to the APs by the controller, why couldn't the logos & images be pushed out too? Surely this would be the most secure and sensible way of getting this to work?

For other portal mechanisms (vouchers, user passwords) the portal must be running on a central system such as OC200, else roaming between EAPs would be very hard to implement. In my opinion it would be much easier to implement VLANs in OC200, so portals bound to a VLAN-aware SSID would use this VLAN for the traffic on its Ethernet interface, too.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options