WIFI roaming but client do not renew IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 03:13:05
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.20.1

I have 10 APs and they span over large area. Each AP have different subnets. The problem is when clients roaming among APs, they do not renew IPs --> client can not have internet access even the wireless signals are very good and they are connected to nearest AP.

I dont want to configure each AP with different SSID (no point to roam).

Any configuration can solve this problem? Thank you.

Options
1 Reply
Re:WIFI roaming but client do not renew IP address
2020-08-21 06:37:50 - last edited 2020-08-21 06:40:02

HoangHien wrote

I dont want to configure each AP with different SSID (no point to roam).

Any configuration can solve this problem?

There is also no point to roam if the Roaming Domain (= the APs in the same broadcast domain) would change. Applications which require session persistence (such as VoIP for example) would lose the connection to the client device.

What you want to achieve with roaming is session persistence. To provide this, you need a mechanism to allow a station to maintain the same Layer 3 address while roaming throughout a multi-VLAN network. RFC2002¹ (IP Mobility Support) describes a technique to allow roaming between different Roaming Domains while keeping the same IP address.  However, as far as I know the Omada ecosystem does not support IP Mobility, at least not at this time.

¹ https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2002

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options