Pixel 6 not roaming between Wifi 6 and Wifi 5 APs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-12-30 12:02:25

My house has a lot of WiFi resistant walls, so I have quite a few APs, all EAP 225 except for one EAP615 (and a OC 200 controller).

I recently got a Pixel 6 which is the first (and only) WiFi 6 compatible device that I own. I am finding that the Pixel stays connected to the EAP615 even when there is quite poor signal (while my WiFi 5 devices happily switch to a closer AP) and therefore has poor internet connection. Even if I turn WiFi on and off on the phone or force it to reconnect through the Omada controller it will still connect the EAP615 almost all of the time. I tried setting a "RSSI Threshold" on the EAP615 but it still stays connected even though the signal is below the threshold.

Just wondering if others with mixed Wifi5/6 networks have had this problem / any suggestions how to fix this?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Pixel 6 not roaming between Wifi 6 and Wifi 5 APs
2021-12-31 05:30:59

@jjj42 

Normally the clients will choose which wifi signal is better for them, in your case the Pixel 6. So when you think the signal strength is poor, but this device may still consider it's still working fine. We can setup fast roaming on the controller, but eventually we can't make decision for your clients.

What you can try to change on the controller would be the TX power of the EAP615. For example,

I don't know your current settings, but you can a lower TX power. See if that will help you.

Lower the TX power, then your clients may not detect the signal from EAP615 where you used to still connecting it with poor performance. So it could switch to another EAP device's Wifi.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 750

Replies: 1

Related Articles