recommended Online-Detection-Interval?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-08 08:10:06 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:48:43
Tags: #Link-Backup
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hi, 

is there any practical experience on this setting? 

Can I go as low as 1 second? Will there be any caveat?

Where is the tradeoff, longer times obviously means its taking longer to recover from an outage. But whats the tradeoff for shorter periods? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:recommended Online-Detection-Interval? -Solution
2022-08-11 12:48:40 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:48:43

Ok I think 5 seconds is a really good way to go.

My WAN1 ISP had a lod of packet drops yesterday evening (every 2min a few packets where lost) and at some point the line was offline. 

The packet loss was no problem at all, but when the line was finally offline, the switch-over was really smooth.

So no need to set it higher than 5secs, as the packet-loss was already very heavy. Im thinking about setting it to a lower value, so that even with a faulty line I will switch over to the "better" ISP. Maybe I will try as low as 2 sec when this will happen more often, but not for now. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:recommended Online-Detection-Interval?
2022-08-09 09:29:22

@RobertMEF 

I think it is better not to change the detection interval too short, for example, you said 1 second.

If the online detection interval is adjusted too short, a little bit network fluctuations will cause the switch so that the Internet experience may be not good.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-08-09 10:20:03

@Virgo 

thats the reason Im asking for field-tested experience :)

1 second might be too short, but 1 minute is certainly way too long. that will interrupt every active connection and therefore produce a big impact depending on the running applications.

BGP-routers for example do this on an 3 second - 15 second interval. But some of them are also going down to as fast a 250 milliseconds.

Currently I have set 5 seconds as interval and so far no issues (since yesterday). So lets see how its goes.

Options
2022-08-09 15:02:36

@RobertMEF 

10 seconds is my starting point.  It's been a good number for me so far.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:recommended Online-Detection-Interval? -Solution
2022-08-11 12:48:40 - last edited 2022-08-11 12:48:43

Ok I think 5 seconds is a really good way to go.

My WAN1 ISP had a lod of packet drops yesterday evening (every 2min a few packets where lost) and at some point the line was offline. 

The packet loss was no problem at all, but when the line was finally offline, the switch-over was really smooth.

So no need to set it higher than 5secs, as the packet-loss was already very heavy. Im thinking about setting it to a lower value, so that even with a faulty line I will switch over to the "better" ISP. Maybe I will try as low as 2 sec when this will happen more often, but not for now. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3714

Replies: 4

Tags

Link-Backup
Related Articles