Replace switch with all configuration

2024-02-21 08:17:23

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find an option to backup switch configuration, replace it with new one and upload the settings.

Right now, I'm using TL-SG3428XMP v1.0 as my main switch. After talking to TP-Link support, it seems like my firmware chip is broken, so I need to replace the device. I'm planning to replace it with the same model but v3. The issue is that I have a lot of VLANs and settings related to different APs and other switches. I don't think the controller will just adopt and populate all the settings as they were configured in the old one.

Controller: 5.13.23

Thanks

Artur

Options
4 Reply
Re:Replace switch with all configuration
2024-02-21 09:59:13 - last edited 2024-02-21 10:02:23

@SiwyBoy 

you should be able to copy the configuration from a similar switch, but I don't know how it will work with the version chaos of Tp-Link, if it works with a different harware version you almost just have to try.

it is important that you do not delete the broken switch from the controller, it must remain there to be able to copy onto a new switch

Goto new switch config and manage device-

Options
2024-02-21 10:37:10

@MR.S 

Thanks for the advice. I saw this option and wanted to know how it would turn out. I'm using PfSense as my main company firewall, so I need to think about this and figure out if there is a way to test or simulate this change.

I have yet to buy the switch as I'm considering different models.

It's also struggling with finding the exact differences between the model versions. Just take a look at this...

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-sg3428xmp/

v2, v2.6, v3, v3.6... what the...

Options
2024-02-21 10:45:29

@SiwyBoy 

which router you have doesn't matter, but the version chaos of tp-link can create problems for you when you have to copy the configuration.
for my part, TP-Link is becoming less and less relevant because of this. You never know what you will get when you order something.
there is no way to test this without having some devices to test with so either it works or it doesn't.

Options
2024-08-07 19:35:47 - last edited 2024-08-19 14:52:57

@MME 

Pour remplacer votre switch TP-Link TL-SG3428XMP tout en conservant la configuration, suivez ces étapes :

1. Sauvegarde de la Configuration :

• Malheureusement, le TL-SG3428XMP ne semble pas avoir une option directe pour sauvegarder et restaurer la configuration via l'interface web. Toutefois, vous pouvez essayer de noter toutes les configurations manuellement.
  2. Configurer le Nouveau Switch :

• Installez le nouveau commutateur TL-SG3428XMP v3.0.
    • Connectez-vous à l'interface web du nouveau switch.
    • Manuellement, recréez les VLAN et toutes les configurations nécessaires (VLAN, liens, paramètres de port, etc.).
  3. Migration via le contrôleur Omada :

• Si vous utilisez un Omada Controller, cela peut faciliter la migration. Ne supprimez pas l'ancien switch du contrôleur avant d'ajouter le nouveau. Le contrôleur peut parfois synchroniser les configurations avec les nouveaux appareils.
    • Ajoutez le nouveau switch au Omada Controller et configurez-le en conséquence.
  4. Test et Validation :

• Après avoir configuré le nouveau switch, testez tous les aspects de votre réseau pour vous assurer que tout fonctionne comme prévu.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 4

Related Articles