Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.13.30.20

ER605 v2 Firmware 2.2.4 Rel.44368

I was using the EAP lock feature.

(3) EAP615-walls

EAP 660 HD

EAP 550

I had an AP issue which meant I couldn't access the  clients that were tied to that locked EAP.

I went to Insights / Known Clients which acts as a history list to access the configs of those hanging clients, and takes effect.  So yes, I was able to give them each a new EAP to lock to.

BUT, because I see you can select multiple EAPs to lock to, can we add a checkbox to select one of those as the "Primary" or "Priority" EAP?  

Many people Including myself find the clients don't necessarily connect to the one with the strongest signal (which makes the lean towards Locking), but then you have a different risk (dead clients when an EAP has an issue).

Adding that Priority checkbox would "Lock" a client to an EAP if it had a signal and only move on to the other (or others) that were in your Lock list if Primary was not available.

Who knows why it might seem and connect to a weaker EAP when there isn't a lock, and the physics of radio wave propagation in edge cases are beyond user interest, but this would be a great feature.  Think of Non-priority EAPs as fallback.

Thanks - you guys are doing great wor!

(Could probably use more Devs to accelerate the potential of your products)

Options
1 Reply
Re:AP Lock "Primary"
2024-04-29 02:39:05

Gjjb wrote

ER605 v2 Firmware 2.2.4 Rel.44368

I was using the EAP lock feature.

(3) EAP615-walls

EAP 660 HD

EAP 550

I had an AP issue which meant I couldn't access the  clients that were tied to that locked EAP.

I went to Insights / Known Clients which acts as a history list to access the configs of those hanging clients, and takes effect.  So yes, I was able to give them each a new EAP to lock to.

BUT, because I see you can select multiple EAPs to lock to, can we add a checkbox to select one of those as the "Primary" or "Priority" EAP?  

Many people Including myself find the clients don't necessarily connect to the one with the strongest signal (which makes the lean towards Locking), but then you have a different risk (dead clients when an EAP has an issue).

Adding that Priority checkbox would "Lock" a client to an EAP if it had a signal and only move on to the other (or others) that were in your Lock list if Primary was not available.

Who knows why it might seem and connect to a weaker EAP when there isn't a lock, and the physics of radio wave propagation in edge cases are beyond user interest, but this would be a great feature.  Think of Non-priority EAPs as fallback.

Thanks - you guys are doing great wor!

(Could probably use more Devs to accelerate the potential of your products)

Hi @Gjjb 

Thanks for sharing. For your information, the wireless connection will be affected by many factors such as network conditions, obstacles, client limitations etc. We cannot guarantee whether your certain client will connect to the closest EAP since the client will also try to select its own preferred signal. That's why we have the lock to AP function to allow you lock the client to EAP/EAPs.

And thanks for your feature request, I will mark down your request and forward to the developer department. Please note that we cannot guarantee the implementation of all requested features due to technical limitations, resource constraints, and compatibility issues.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 204

Replies: 1

Voters 1