Sunday - last edited 2 hours ago
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.14.30.7 (beta)

My current Omada hardware:

1. 1x ER707-M2 v1.0 - 1.2.2 Build 20240324 Rel.42799
  2. 1x SG2008P v3.20 - 3.20.1 Build 20240115 Rel.72847
  3. 2x EAP653(US) v1.0 - 1.0.14 Build 20240415 Rel. 70264
  4. 1x EAP772(US) v1.0 - 1.0.14 Build 20240801 Rel. 78844

I also have three unmanaged "dumb" switches, two 2.5G chained off the 2nd WAN/LAN 2.5G port of the ER707, and one 1G.

Two of my current issues getting everything up and healthy that I include together here as I assume they share a common root cause are:

1. My topology map is very incorrect in an odd way
  2. I have many wireless clients that show up as wired, meaning I cannot see wireless stats like signal strength, etc... for them

Here is the most common way the Topology map is presented (it occasionally will swap to something a little more correct, but not frequently). This is how it has appeared since my initial setup using the latest production versions, as well as how it continues to look now after updating to the latest beta. I also did start out with a hardware OC200 controller, but ditched that for software controller after learning about all its limitations (like no DPI!) and with the OC200 the topology was incorrectly the same as this.

Note that I have never enabled mesh mode on any of the three APs as they are all hardwired:

The major topology differences, aside from wireless clients showing up as wired, is that:

1. the SG2008P's LAN/WAN 2.5G port 2 connects to an unmanaged switch, which connects to another unmanaged switch, which the EAP653-Livingroom connects to.
  2. The Switch-SG2008P Port8 connects directly to Router-ER707-M2 Port6

EDIT: adding that everything is running over VLAN-1 untagged right now, no tagged vlans, no mgmt vlan, very vanilla. 

Incorrect Topology

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Incorrect topology map, and wireless clients showing up as wired-Solution
Tuesday - last edited 2 hours ago

Hi  @daubstep 

Did you try rebooting the whole system? Including the router, switches, EAPs, and the controller?

Better to boot them up in this order: Router>Controller>Switches>EAPs.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Incorrect topology map, and wireless clients showing up as wired
Sunday

I noticed the topology updated slightly, still bizarrely wrong - Including screenshots of the uplink/downlink according to Omada - note that somehow the non-mesh Livingroom AP has both an uplink and a downlink 🤔

Livingroom AP with correct uplink:

Corect uplink

Livingroom AP with incorrect downlink (should have no downlink, wireless clients only):

why downlink

Switch with incorrect uplink - it is direct-attached ot the router

switch with incorrect uplink

Switch correctly showing its two directly connected downlink APs

switch with correct downlink APs

Options
Re:Incorrect topology map, and wireless clients showing up as wired-Solution
Tuesday - last edited 2 hours ago

Hi  @daubstep 

Did you try rebooting the whole system? Including the router, switches, EAPs, and the controller?

Better to boot them up in this order: Router>Controller>Switches>EAPs.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Incorrect topology map, and wireless clients showing up as wired
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

@Vincent-TP Thanks for providing the recommended reboot order (is this in documentation anywhere? Is this the generally recommended order, or just for this wifi/lan issue?).

So far, I have only rebooted the controller - the first time rebooting it fixed some devices, the second time rebooting it seemed to fix all but one wireless device that still shows up as wired incorrectly.

I will do a full reboot in the recommended order, however, I must also ask, given this results in non-trivial downtime for users, if there are plans to reduce the need for reboots to clear up issues like this? (I'll have to wait until off-peak times, but even that it'd be great to not require full-system ordered reboots).

The controller reboots also seemed to have fixed the toplogy map, but I didn't document if it were the first or second controller reboot that fixed it):

Correct topology

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 89

Replies: 3

Related Articles