Can't Connect Multiple Wireless Routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-11-21 10:57:25
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-SG1005D

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I just bought a TL-SG1005D yesterday. It says it's Version 5.0, which wasn't an option when creating this thread, so I guess it's newer than the admins have updated to be an option for Hardware Version...

I bought it with the intention of connecting my cable modem and splitting out to two wireless routers.

Connecting one wireless router along with additional PCs works fine. Connecting a second wireless router does not work. Both routers work independently, if I only connect one to the switch, it doesn't matter which one I connect. But if I try to connect two at the same time, only the first one to pick up the Internet signal is able to broadcast that signal. The second gets no Internet connection.

From what I've seen, I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work. Has anyone else successfully connected multiple wireless routers to one switch? Any tricks or suggestions of what to try?

Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't Connect Multiple Wireless Routers
2014-11-21 16:35:24
You should consult your ISP why it cannot be fulfilled. A cable modem cannot creat two seperated networks at the same time.
Options
2014-11-22 12:48:54
Thanks for the reply. However your two sentences seem contradictory, or am I missing something?

You first said that I should consult my ISP. But you then say that a cable modem cannot do this.

If a cable modem can't possibly do it, then why consult my ISP? What would they do?

Also, isn't this the kind of thing the switch is supposed to help facilitate? The cable modem doesn't need to create two networks. It just sends Internet to the switch and two networks are split out from there. Why can't that be done?
Options
2014-12-18 11:33:39
Why a switch should do that? SG1005D is a plug and play device and works like a hub...
Options
Two routers
2015-05-05 01:56:21
I have to routers cascaded one after another connected to a cable modem and it all works fine and I do have two networks with a single modem.
However when I replaced the first router with SG1005D then all Android devices stopped connecting to internet.
Options
2015-05-05 08:51:06

express315 wrote

I have to routers cascaded one after another connected to a cable modem and it all works fine and I do have two networks with a single modem.
However when I replaced the first router with SG1005D then all Android devices stopped connecting to internet.

Of course it didn't work. SG1005D is a pure switch, you cannot replace the first router with a SG1005D without changing the network settings.

Why are you trying to replace the first router? What do you want to achieve?
Options
2015-05-05 11:10:49
I was using the first router as a switch mainly because modem has only one plug and it is located in the basement.
So I replaced one switch with another in fact, but the tp-link one does not do the job
Multiple PCs are scattered around the house, some wired and the rest wifi.
The second router was for wifi connections and network upstairs.
Though I can still connect to the first router network if I wanted to and when I am on the first floor or in the basement.
I did not really need a second wifi so I thought a switch would be more appropriate there right next to the modem.
It did not work as planned, for some reason anything Android does not get internet through this TP-Link switch.
Just put the old router back, it does a great job as an internet splitter and this is all I need.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1725

Replies: 6

Related Articles