CPE210 : Please fix this problem in firmware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-07-24 11:39:14
Region : Indonesia
Model : CPE210
Hardware Version : V1
Firmware Version : 1.2.1
ISP :

I have two dissapointment in CPE210's PharOS firmware.

1. Incompatibility DHCPclient with some Hotspot
Here, we have two major internet provider hotspot that use web portal login page.
Using CPE210 I cannot obtain WAN IP from those hotspot, thus no connection, cannot access web portal page.
Using smartphone from same spot, I easily get IP and connected, so no problem with signal.
This had happened since I use mr3020,wr843nd,wa7210n. Problem is solved when using openwrt/ddwrt.
With PharOS from tplink, I thought this problem was solved, but it is not. I thought I finally can use stock firmware to connect to these hotspot, but now I know its still unsolved.

Log from CPE210 not so informative.
DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0.0.0.0 and unicast flag 0
DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0.0.0.0 and unicast flag 1
DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0.0.0.0 and unicast flag 1
DHCP Service unavailable, recv no OFFER

While if I successfully connected to other SSID, it is supposed to show something like this.
DHCPC Recv OFFER from server 192.168.43.1 with ip 192.168.43.129
DHCPC Send REQUEST to server 192.168.43.1 with request ip 192.168.43.129
DHCPC Recv ACK from server 192.168.43.1 with ip 192.168.43.129 lease time 43200
DHCPC: GET ip:192.168.43.129 mask:255.255.255.0 gateway:192.168.43.1 dns1:192.168.43.1 dns2:0.0.0.0 static route:0Dynamic IP(DHCP Client) obtained an IP successfully

2. CPE210 doesn't broadcast SSID, when not connected to ROOT-AP [SOLVED : Do not use Testmode in Region, see post #2 for more info from admin]
When ROOT-AP is down, CPE210 is not broadcasting it's SSID when working in AP Client Router mode.Reconfigurating AP will need cable. I thought this was solved by tplink in their new firmwares.
I had experienced this when using old mr3020, but I don't have this problem with w802n.
How come the newest firmware PharOS still have this problem.

I have try PharOS beta 1.3.0 rel56837, both problem still exist.
Options
5 Reply
Re:CPE210 : Please fix this problem in firmware
2015-07-24 17:36:35
Hello @seleraKU. Welcome.

Regarding these two issues,

1. When your phone connects to the hotspot, what IP address it get?
Do you have any information of the hotspot? Who is the provider? What is the model of the access point broadcasting the hotspot.

The following App named Cloudwalker can obtain information of the hotspot, and get even more info when you are connected to it.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=cloudwalker&hl=en

We need the info of the hotspot to further look into these issues.

2. This is how Wisp mode (also called AP client router mode) was designed in the past.
But the PharOS firmware has already changed. In AP Client Router mode (Wisp mode), even though CPE is not connected to the root AP, it can still broadcast its local wireless signal.

The only thing you need to do is to enable " Wireless Radio" under Wireless menu since this option is disabled by default in AP client router mode.

Maybe you are mistaken with the LEDs lights. The signal LEDs indicate the signal strength of the root AP after connected successfully in repeater/bridge/AP client router mode. They do not indicate the status of local wireless signal.

ALSO, if you use TEST MODE, when it disconnect from the root AP, it can pick up a random channel out of range (channel1~13) to broadcast local Wi-Fi, which may not be visible by your laptop/smartphone.
Options
2015-07-24 22:02:25
Thank you for the quick response..

tplink wrote

When your phone connects to the hotspot, what IP address it get?Do you have any information of the hotspot? Who is the provider? What is the model of the access point broadcasting the hotspot.

About Issue #1.

The provider of hotspot is telecommunication operator here (Indosat). I don't have too much information about it as I test it at my brother's place. If I'm not wrong, hotspot MAC is 6C:F3:7F:xx:xx:xx macvendor show it as Aruba network.

But at my place, I have similar situation with a hotel hotspot nearby. It is using web login portal page too. I get IP when using smartphone or laptop, but not from Cpe210. I thought if I managed to get IP from this hotspot, other hotspot problem will be solved. Hotspot MAC is 06:27:22:xx:xx:xxThe hotspot is also broadcasting multi SSID with MAC 0A:27:22:xx:xx:xx and 0E:27:22:xx:xx:xx.Cloudwalker show it as unknown device, but browsing macvendor show it as ubiquiti unifi wireless?? I get local IP 192.168.30.xx with netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.30.1, so nothing special. Tried to clone my smartphone MAC, but still no IP. Tried enabled/disabled WDS, no effect.This is most I can get from the hotspot. I hope its enough..

ALSO, if you use TEST MODE, when it disconnect from the root AP, it can pick up a random channel out of range (channel1~13) to broadcast local Wi-Fi, which may not be visible by your laptop/smartphone.

Issue #2 Solved.
So it is my mistake to let it on test mode. After set it to my region, now I can always see it broadcast SSID. Thank you.
Options
2015-07-24 22:15:16

seleraKU wrote

it is my mistake to let it on test mode. After set it to my region, now I can always see it broadcast SSID. Thank you.

on your side yes
scince firm #1

subefotos
Options
2015-07-24 23:40:17

danymarc wrote

on your side yes
scince firm #1

Yes, in my case, I already turn on local wireless. Only initial setting by cable. After that I only use wireless. So, I immediately know when my connection is gone.
Options
2015-07-28 20:37:45
Thank you for the info, @seleraKU

Aruba and UBNT's consumer products should be compatible with Pharos as they all follow common standards.
But we are not sure whether or not there are some kind of restrictions could be set on the hotspots to prevent AP devices of other brands to communicate.

It is appreciated if you are wiling to do further steps:

Test 1: Configure CPE210 as AP Client Router mode, assign an static IP address/subnetmask/gateway/dns to the WAN interface to see whether it works or not.
Test 2: Configure CPE210 as Client mode (WDS enable/disable), connect a wire PC to CPE210 to see whether the PC can obtain an IP address and access portal.
Test 3(important): Configure CPE210 as bridge mode (WDS enable/disable), connect a wire PC to CPE210 to see whether the PC can obtain an IP address and access portal.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 18498

Replies: 5

Related Articles