Double point to multipoint to switch ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-04 21:04:37
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

we want to connect 10 non wi-fi ip cameras to a computer unit.

It is an outdoor installation, the pictures below are on scale.
The plant is agressive, interference wise.

We intend to use TL-WA5210G units. We've used them before and we're happy with them.
We understand that point to multi-point config allows 1 to 6 units max.

So our dilemma is to choose between two solutions:
1- a structure with lesser access points (5), but with somewhat long cable trays, possibly more prone to interferences.
In this solution, you can see 4 switches. We're not sure this is a valid configuration. Can we use one access point as a
multi point device, connected to 3 equipments through a switch?

2- more access points (12), without cable trays.
In this solution, you can see there are 2 subnets (green and red), because of the 1 to 6 config limit.
Can we merge the two subnets with a switch, connected to the computer unit, as depicted in the image? Remember
that AP11 and AP12 are in point to multi-point config.

Thanks,

Bruno

solution 1:

solution 2:

Options
2 Reply
Re:Double point to multipoint to switch ?
2015-12-11 15:02:01
Actually I am wondering what's the throughput requirement of each IP camera? If the throughput is ok, seems like both are ok, besides, of cause the less AP, the less competition, so for me. seems like the 1st solution is better.
Options
Re:Double point to multipoint to switch ?
2016-01-29 02:00:11
Hello,

thanks for the reply.

The PTZ cameras are 1080P, use H264, H264H or MJPEG, with bit rate from 32 to 12,288 kbps, 30 fps max.
The fixed ones are 3Mpx, use H264 or MJPEG, bit rate from 32 to 24,576 kbps 20 fps max.

We expect to use 1fps max.

So with MJPEG we would expect 1.2 Mbps / camera,
and with H264 0.4Mbps / camera.

Not sure how this would add up to the whole setup, nominal downstream would be 54Mbps / AP,
but in practice we could narrow that down to, say, 27Mpbs or less.
The switches add a bit of packet traffic, that could slow down everything a bit more.

Bottom line, as there were no other inputs to this thread, I believe we should do a field test and see what
happens. I've never seen this kind of topology in action and I expect some problems shall arise.

Anyway,
Thanks
Regards
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 701

Replies: 2

Related Articles