Need hel with VLAN configuration on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Need hel with VLAN configuration on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
12 Reply
Re:Need hel with VLAN configuration on TL-SG108E
2017-07-10 18:29:08
Bummer, sounds like I should have used a Netgear GS108PE for this application -- I was just looking for a smart switch with a couple PoE ports to power a downstream switch.

I alos noticed the switch becoming unreachable for management under circumstances I couldn't figure out.

This seems more like a lame assumption in the UI -- it makes total
sense for factory reset to set all ports to VLAN 1, but this is the only switch I'v ever seen that won't let you move ports to other VLANs.

I agree that, it there's going to be a dedicated management VLAN (if that's what they're trying to do), it should be configurable or at least, as you suggest, be pretty much anything but 1.
Options
Re:Need hel with VLAN configuration on TL-SG108E
2017-07-10 22:20:28

sgs wrote

This seems more like a lame assumption in the UI -- it makes total
sense for factory reset to set all ports to VLAN 1, but this is the only switch I'v ever seen that won't let you move ports to other VLANs.

Yes. Given the fact that the web UI is written in Javascript, changes are that it might be possible to remove a port from VLAN 1 or to even use it on a trunk port with the right command on the cmdline. So I tried to establish a serial connection to the SoC chip directly, but with no success so far. OTOH, if a customer does a factory reset, such changes could be reverted again, so it is not really an option. Interestingly, on a TL-SG2008 it is possible to remove ports from VLAN 1.

I tried to convince TP-Link twice to change this in the TL-SG108E's firmware, but still have no response to the second ticket I did open regarding default VLAN 1.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Related Articles