disable wifi altogether at night time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

disable wifi altogether at night time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
63 Reply
Re:disable wifi altogether at night time
2022-01-17 16:44:43

Alan98 wrote

It is really important to be able to turn off the Wi-Fi when not in use. I take this feature for granted in these systems.

@Alan98 

I have completely opposite experience. Whatever WiFi routers I used before Deco, they haven't offered this functionality. Googled it, and found this:

------------------------------

You’ll need a wireless router that allows you to set a Wi-Fi schedule in the settings menu of the router. Unfortunately, not many wireless routers have this functionality.

While some wireless routers allow you to set usage limits for your wireless network, few allow you to disable the Wi-Fi signal entirely. For example, the Google Wi-Fi router allows you to set time limits for individual devices on your network. It does not, however, allow you to shut the Wi-Fi off according to a schedule you set.

You’ll need to research your own device to see if it has Wi-Fi scheduling functionality. Netgear is a popular and high-quality brand that manufactures wireless routers. They have two lines of routers, the Wi-Fi 6 (AX) Nighthawk and the AC Nighthawk, which offer this capability.

One would think that Netgear Orbi mesh will have functionalty you asked, after all their routers already do. Yet, that is not the case.

Orbi has no option to disable the WiFi radios.  With the continuing introduction of "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices the expectation is that WiFi will be available 24/7.  The only method to disable WiFi is to connect the Orbi units to "smart plugs" which have a schedule to drop power to the Orbi and restore it at another time. 

Reason your Netgear router has a schedule to disable the wifi radios is that it's not a MESH router. Most wifi MESH systems are designed around this as most of the time wifi is always on all the time and the remote units need to have a signal to connect to or they would loose connection. Orbi and MESH systems are already complex in there design. Would be another level of complexity that some router mfrs don't want to deal with. 

Sounds very similar to TP-Link reply, is not it? 

I am afraid, we won't see WiFi scheduling functionality in Deco mesh soon, if at all. 

Options
2022-01-17 17:21:38

Alexandre. wrote

I have completely opposite experience. Whatever WiFi routers I used before Deco, they haven't offered this functionality. Googled it, and found this:

that it's not a MESH router. Most wifi MESH systems are designed around this as most of the time wifi is always on all the time

@Alexandre. 

You're making excuses for the #1 best seller on Amazon; first of all - most if not all routers I've had- have this funcationality. Step your router game up. 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/AX-WLAN-ZenWiFi-Backbone-Connection-AiProtection/dp/B082T48132/ is a mesh router and supports this. 

and I be surprised if https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Advanced-System-Security/dp/B08V3PMGBR/ doesn't support this, since their cheaper routers do. 

Options
2022-05-17 02:09:38

@gkatz 

Nearly three years later - anyone have a solution on how to turn off wifi at night?    I am fine with a solution that includes buying another non-tp-link router...

Options
Related Articles