EAP225 Outdoor w/ Omada Controller Captive Portal Load Times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-08 14:04:31
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all, a number of users and I have noticed that I've noticed that it sometimes may take up to 30 seconds for the captive portal to appear. In all instances, the device has established a connection with the wireless access point, but the captive portal does not automatically appear. The router that it's connected to establishes a quick, and fast connection when my laptop is connected directly. Has anyone else noticed this? If so, what are your suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP225 Outdoor w/ Omada Controller Captive Portal Load Times
2019-07-10 02:48:51

Hi @bbjames7 

You mention two issues, I have some questions to confirm with you.

1. In all instances, the device has established a connection with the wireless access point, but the captive portal does not automatically appear.

Do you mean that when you pass the authentication, the authentication will not appear?

2. it sometimes may take up to 30 seconds for the captive portal to appear. 

What portal do you set? Please upgrade to the latest firmware. Do all clients have such problem?

Options
Re:EAP225 Outdoor w/ Omada Controller Captive Portal Load Times
2019-08-01 14:34:43

Sorry for the late response:

1. In all instances, the device has established a connection with the wireless access point, but the captive portal does not automatically appear.

Do you mean that when you pass the authentication, the authentication will not appear?

Answer: That's correct

What portal do you set? Please upgrade to the latest firmware. Do all clients have such problem? 

Answer: Local User Management; I can confirm that firmware for the controller and AP are running the latest version. All Apple Devices appear to have this issue.

Options
Re: EAP225 Outdoor w/ Omada Controller Captive Portal Load Times
2019-08-02 10:40:20 - last edited 2019-08-02 10:41:41

bbjames7 wrote 

[...]

All Apple Devices appear to have this issue.

Apple Devices often have problems with hotspot portal pages. On our own Captive Portal (not Omada Controller, but same technique), iPhones often need to connect twice to the WiFi network until the portal page eventually appears. This is a well-known (mis-)behavior of Apple devices. See also https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/ios-public-wi-fi-wont-connect-way/ 

Huge delays in displaying the portal page can result either from malfunction described above or from DNS problems when using an external portal in Omada Controller.

A comon work-around is to create a flyer/badge with a QR-coded URL of Apples captive portal test page or with the URL of the captive portal.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1705

Replies: 3