EAP245 Guest network & Multi-Unit Web Access

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-10-27 16:30:55 - last edited 2019-10-27 17:13:00
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20180601 Rel. 52885(5553)

Tried this on the Home Forum, no response. Residential Gateway is Wave 2 Model RAC2v1S provided by Spectrum. Just installed two EAP245 for home use. Everything functioning but question about AP configuration login & guest network.

Setup both APs on Android phone under one account and I can choose either unit on phone. I can log in to web browser with same credentials, but can only access the first EAP installed, not the second one. How do I access second EAP on Windows browser? I installed Omada Controller v3.2.1 for Windows 10, but all I get is "Write PID error..."

There is no "Guest Network" function per se as described in the user manual. On unit 1, I added an SSID on web page, which is where the manual states "Guest Network" should appear as an option. All the other options are reasonably straighforward except for Portal & Isolation. Presume I want Isolation on Guest Network. Don't know about Portal.

I went to the Android, which offers limited options for adding SSID. For the second unit, I added SSID & security password. No other options, like Isolation & Portal are available.

Questions are:

1. How do I access second unit on PC web page?

2. Do I need Controller software, if so, how do I get rid of PID error?

3. Am I setting up guest network correctly?

Thanks.

Edit: I just noticed new firmware dated 10-17-2019, EAP245(US)_V3_190731 . My firmware version is in a different format, above. Will this firmware provide the guest netwrok function? If I need the new firmware, I still have the issue of only accessing one unit on web page.

Options
7 Reply
Re:EAP245 Guest network & Multi-Unit Web Access
2019-10-28 05:44:56

@BIC 

Hello, hope I can help you with your questions. 

1. How do I access second unit on PC web page?

We have two ways to manage the EAP. That is, we can manage the EAP in standalone mode, or we can use the Omada Controller/OC200 to manage the EAPs. As you said, you cannot install the Omada Controller successfully on your Win10, so I guess you manage the EAP in standalone mode.  In this situation, for how to login to the EAP, please refer to the following FAQ: 

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1000/

2. Do I need Controller software, if so, how do I get rid of PID error?

As I said, you have two ways to manage your EAP. If you want to manage the EAP via the Omada Controller, you should install the Omada Controller first. But you said you met a PID error, can you send us a screenshot to us about it?

3.  Am I setting up guest network correctly?

We have added guest network on the firmware. But your firmware is too old, so we recommend you to update the firmware to the latest version(20190731), then you will see the guest network on the management page. 

Options
2019-10-28 13:57:43

@BIC 

1.  #1 EAP245 has an IP of 192.168.1.139.  I changed the SSID to match the router.  #2 EAP245 has an IP of 192.168.1.140.  The SSID also matches the router.  I changed the web login for #1 from admin/admin to my own credentials.  When I put #2 IP in address bar, it asks for my credentials.  Neither admin/admin nor the credentials from EAP #1 work.  It also does not allow me to register new credentials.  Seems I just need to be able to login to EAP #2 or add it to the login for EAP #1.  I'm not sure how the article you linked me to helps unless I reset and start from the begining.

2. Omada error screenshot attached.

3.  I can't update firmware on #2 EAP until I can login to it.

Thanks.

File:
tp-link Omada screenshot.pdfDownload
Options
2019-10-28 23:16:22
Did you perform a factory reset on the EAP you cant login to?
Options
2019-10-28 23:25:10 - last edited 2019-10-28 23:25:49

@HPad 

No, I've been awaiting answers to my questions and further instructions. How should the login work on the second unit?

Options
2019-10-28 23:34:25
If your not using the controller software you would access it by going to its provided IP address. If the default login does not work perform a factory reset on it which will make the default login admin/admin work again.
Options
2019-11-01 02:16:33

@BIC 

For the PID error, I have a question. Do you install the Omada Controller on the Windows with a gurest account? Actually, when we login to the PC with a guest account, we will meet this error when we run the Omada Controller. 

You say the second EAP cannot be accessed, please reset it and have a try.

Options
2019-11-01 15:57:24

@BIC

OK, everything is fixed. I reset the reluctant EAP & was able to login to the webpage. I updated firmware on both units and had the Guest Network option appear.

As far as the PID error. Good call. I was not operating as an Administrator. When I did, the controller opened up. Since I got everything working with the web page, I didn't set up the controller, seems there's no need for my two units. Thanks for everybody's help.

If I may go off topic a bit. I'm using the same SSID for the router & two APs. Is that recommended or should they all have different SSIDs. I have a different SSID for the Guest Network.

Also, is it recommended that IOT devices, of which I now have many, be on the Guest Network or even a separate Guest Network & SSID of their own? Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2192

Replies: 7