FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
80 Reply
Re:FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE!!
2020-06-13 13:32:13

@Robert_M 

Totally agree. My VR900 v2 has been completely abandoned by TP Link - no updates in 3 years. Even the v1 has received a subsequent update whereas my version 2 only has the initial firmware on the website. 

From a security point of view, I find it concerning that a company can abandon its product and customer base in this way. I'm now looking for a replacement and TP Link is definitely not on the list!

Options
2020-06-13 14:11:02

@Andyvr900

After a bad experience with P9 I abandoned and went with a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD and it works great with regular updates, one recently adding a router level ad blocking.  Really nice product. 

Options
2020-07-11 16:17:34
Options
2020-07-12 10:29:41

I have had an extremely unstable network after the last update in May on the P9.  Hopely they will stay stable if they are only in AP mode.

Options
2020-07-12 11:20:33

@_hpcsyspro_ 

Hi, 

What do you mean by unstable? 

I had stability problems, in the sense that one P9 unit was disconnecting when I was turning on another p9 unit on a second floor. 

The solution was, on a beta firmware, to disable one of the backhaul channel (only wifi or only plc). 

I am using now a pre release firmware with plc turned off. Everything is stable. 

Waiting for an official stable firmware. 

Options
2020-07-12 21:17:01

@realjax 

@_hpcsyspro_ 

@Kevin_Z 

@tplink 

@Support 

Serieus no TP-Link worker have ever replied on all the messages???

I SO HAPPY THAT I SOLD MY M5!!!! Asus GT-AX-11000 Rocks for months now !!!!

NEVER TP-LINK AGAIN

Options
2020-07-12 21:47:00

@Kook 

All of my P9 units have a wired 1G connection with speed verified by iperf and iperf3 for backhaul and current firmware is 1.1.0 Build 20200513 Rel. 52023.  If you have access to a beta firmware that is newer then you lucky but it is not avaible generally so is not really an option. 

The stablity issue I see is that the main Deco unit will go unresponsive so that it stops passing traffic, stops responding to DHCP requests, and responds very slow if at all to accessing the internal webpage or through the Deco app.  The time for being unresponsive can be a minute or more than 30+ minutes (was trying to troubleshoot to make sure it was the router unit and not anything else).  All the Deco P9 units LEDs will either flash red or be solid red.  It was fairly stable from January until May though after the upgrade it has been going unresponsive multiple times a day.  Though it did seem to happen when one of us was moving through the house normally me going downstairs to eat lunch or work on supper which means I was walking by the closet location of the main unit.  So it coule be a bug with it and either my old iPad pro or my Pixel 3.

The previous firmware and app though were very lacking in diagnositic capablities and just by chance did I figure out that the app would never connect to the unit if mobile data is enabled. I had to use the app loaded on my ipad to figure it out and it took a while for something to time out and allow it to see the information from the P9 unit network.

The reason I went with the P9 was for the  powerline backhaul option which had worked well in the past for me with TP-Link's standalne powerline products but the P9 units was horrible so I used a Nuc running Debian (testing) to act as a wireless bridge instead as the Deco P9 can only be a repeater bridge and that mean it would have other clients which caused issues in my setup. 

I have moved the P9 network in to AP mode with a UniFi Security Gateway from Ubuiqity to be the main router for my network.  You do lose the feature of keeping the guest wifi network seperate from the main network as it disables running it in a different vlan with no option of being able to change it to a different vlan.

Now I have to wait and see if the P9 units will stay stable in AP mode.  An unstable home network is not acceptable these days with both of us working from home and doing conference calls for much of the day.  Thought it would have been very annoying before we were both working from home.  I should have just bought the Netgear Orbi setup instead or purchased new Unifi APs.  (They are region locked which was a deterant from buying anything really expensive but their coverage would most likely have been better than the Deco P9s.)

Options
2020-07-13 19:05:44

@_hpcsyspro_ 

I'm with you. 

From what you are saying it seems that the Tplink P9 networking strategy is even more problematic than they were admitting to. 

Did you tried to get in touch with the Tplink support? 

For me they really to solve the problem, and sent me several firmwares for me to test. 

Options
2020-07-13 21:51:42

I bought several P9's in Dec 2019 and was initally happy with the great performance in our large brick house in the UK. Yes, I hated the lack of features (but didn't need them at that point in time), and as an IT person hated the lack of control of the technical details behind the UI. However, I did once or twice have to reset the system to factory defaults to get it working after the primary deco appeared to lock up. The system became very unstable in mid April 2020, and I had to do multiple factory resets. I actually started to spot the early warning symptoms ... a speedtest on my macbook would drop from 300 MB/s to 30 MB/s for some hours or even days, and a reset at that point when it was convenient for me stopped the complete lockup. I am pretty sure that some kind of network loop was being accidentally created between the wireless mesh and/or wired gigabit connections and/or powerline. I did all sorts of detailed techniical troubleshooting to eliminate other possible causes to convince myself it really was the P9's. Into April I'd had enough ... Despite the 100's of GBP investment in the P9's, I did my research properly this time around and purchased a competitors MR2200ac mesh routers. Same cable modem and ISP, same cables in the house, same brick walls (honestly, I did not move these!), almost the same locations for the mesh wifi points ... and it has worked perfectly ever since including one software upgrade.

I thought I would sell the P9's on ebay, but in all honesty I would not wish them on anyone, and so they are still piled up next to my desk. Heading for the trash ... unless anyone in the UK who really knows what they are getting wants some ultra cheap P9's 😃 ? Make me an offer!

Options
2020-07-18 07:46:13

@realjax This is a over-engineering product. It's a catastrophe of IT product design.

Options
Related Articles