mongodb journal is rapidly growing in size

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-15 18:49:19 - last edited 2020-01-23 00:48:47

Hi,

I have a small installation of 2 EAP245v3 and 1 EAP225v3 outdoor with typically around 10 Clients connected.

This setup has been running for about week.

I notice that the data folder of the Omada Controller is constantly growing: data/db/journal is already around 450MB big.

History Data Retention is currently set to 365 days.

Is it normal that this files grows so rapidly for such a small deployment?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:mongodb journal is rapidly growing in size-Solution
2020-01-22 12:28:33 - last edited 2020-01-23 00:48:47

I read a bit more about this topic. It is apparently normal, that the journal file is constantly growing (it's append only).  It will reach up to 1GB in size and there can be up to 3 journal files. mongod then starts deleting the oldest journal file.

I also noticed, that when I restart mongod, it will also clean up the journal files.

So I'm no longer worried. I can spare 3GB of disk space. I was just worried, that at the rate of journal file growing it would fill up my disk eventually, which apparently is not going to happen. So case closed.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:mongodb journal is rapidly growing in size
2020-01-16 00:32:55

@ASCII 

Please set the History Data Retention as 7 days, it means the logs beyond 7 days will be clreaed. 

Note: History Data Retention will not take effect right away, so you should wait several hours to check the result. 

Options
2020-01-16 02:03:03

@forrest That doesn't really answer my question.

Options
2020-01-17 00:46:17

@ASCII 

In the data file, there are configuration of the Controller, the settings, client statistics, etc. 

We can clear most of the information by setting the History Data Retention as 7 days. 

Options
2020-01-18 00:52:57

@forrest On a related note: is there a chance mongodb is going to be upgraded or will it stay at 2.2.2 (which is from 2012, heavily outdated and no longer supported by mongodb upstream)

Options
Re:mongodb journal is rapidly growing in size-Solution
2020-01-22 12:28:33 - last edited 2020-01-23 00:48:47

I read a bit more about this topic. It is apparently normal, that the journal file is constantly growing (it's append only).  It will reach up to 1GB in size and there can be up to 3 journal files. mongod then starts deleting the oldest journal file.

I also noticed, that when I restart mongod, it will also clean up the journal files.

So I'm no longer worried. I can spare 3GB of disk space. I was just worried, that at the rate of journal file growing it would fill up my disk eventually, which apparently is not going to happen. So case closed.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1088

Replies: 5

Related Articles