How exactly do alerts/notifications work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-25 00:23:58
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20170930 Rel. 31933

I'm trying to figure out exactly how alerts and notifications work. I understand how to setup mail server and how to setup logs to be emailed to me, but I really want to understand how I can recieve email notifications or alerts. Specifically I would like to be notified by email and/or alert when the EAP330 disconnects from the Omada Controller. This EAP330 disconnects from the controller every so often and I basically want to get a heads up when it happens so that I know when to go and reboot the EAP330. I don't use the cloud access if that really matters.

Options
5 Reply
Re:How exactly do alerts/notifications work
2020-05-25 01:52:23

Alastor wrote

I'm trying to figure out exactly how alerts and notifications work. I understand how to setup mail server and how to setup logs to be emailed to me, but I really want to understand how I can recieve email notifications or alerts. Specifically I would like to be notified by email and/or alert when the EAP330 disconnects from the Omada Controller. This EAP330 disconnects from the controller every so often and I basically want to get a heads up when it happens so that I know when to go and reboot the EAP330. I don't use the cloud access if that really matters.

@Alastor 

1. If you are using "Auto mail Feature", you can set the receive period time, such as, 1 hour. Then controller will send the log to your mailbox every hour.

2. If you are using the log server, you log server will receive the log in real-time, controller will send the new logs to log server directly.

3. I think you can also use the Omada APP and enable the "Allow Notifications" function in Notifications module, then your phone will receive the logs and alert in the real-time

Options
2020-05-25 13:57:44

@jonas I guess what I'm really asking is how can we find a list of the types of alerts, and what options are available to control the type of alerts and/or notifications? I see that email notifications containing the logs are available and can be set based on interval or fixation, but I would expect to see event driven triggers for email notifications of the logs. Also, is there a list of alerts available so I know what to expect to be alerted of, or am I at the mercy of whatever the developers set for alert criteria?

Options
2020-05-27 15:59:55

Hi @Alastor ,

I think that what you're asking is not currently offered by the omada controller. However, you have two options to have real time alerts on the status of the omada network:

1. You may send all the logs to a syslog server and then import them in Logstash. Then you can define your own rules for alerting, for example "If an AP is down for more than 5 minutes, send me an email/Telegram/Slack/etc.

2. You may setup a Prometheus monitoring and alerting stack and use my omada-prometheus exporter. Then you can define your own rules. More info on the exporter here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/205900

Currently, I'm using the solution number 2 as I already have a Prometheus installation.

Either way, you will have to install, configure and maintain a monitoring stack, which can be a bit overkilling wrt the omada network size. That is, if you have to monitor 20 APs it is surely worthwhile. Monitoring 1 or 2 APs is  a different story... May I ask, what is your deployment size?

Cheers

ab12

Options
2020-11-13 15:16:25

@ab12 You don't seem to have had many replies - but that seems to be par for the course.

There seems to be a distinct lack of information out there on how the OMADA SDN actually keeps tabs on its configured devices, and additionally what kind of data is pulled, and what can be done with it.

I've got two EAP devices here and I've configured the SDN software to push syslog messages towards my own ELK/Beats stack.  Even monitoring a basic syslog file (with all options on) there are few if any messages.  I cannot find, anywhere, any information on the facility or severities used in the messaging, either.

There is a simpler solution - though it may be a little annoying.  Simply put together a simple script to ping your collection of devices every so often.  When you get a negative response, have the script notify you using your preferred option.  There are plenty of code examples out there in most popular languages, indeed there are plenty of pre-written code samples that will do the job.

One thought for you.  While the OMADA SDN software does not expose it, EAP devices certainly support SNMP polling - though you have to 'un-adopt' them first, login to each individual device, and configure your community name and other bits and pieces.  Subsequently you 're-adopt' them accordingly.

Using SNMP means you can run some more useful open source applications such as opennms or librenms.  Both of these, while maybe a little 'overkill' do provide you with just what you need, and lots more besides.

Options
2020-12-24 13:44:12

Hi @ajb54321 ,

I agree, polling every device with SNMP is certainly the best way to obtain all the needed information. The part that I don't like is that you have to login to each device individually. If you have a couple of device it's fine, but if you have tens or hundreds of them you loose the best part of the "centralized management solution"...

Having said that, I think that the best solution would be to convince the TP-link folks to expose a set of REST API and a notification websocket on the Omada SDN, so you can extend the Omada SDN with everything you need.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3803

Replies: 5