Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-26 03:33:07 - last edited 2020-08-26 20:57:35
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Trying to build network using the switches DCHP for the network not the cable service router. Is this possible and if so can someone point me in the direction to do this? I want to have 4 vlans with the IP of the switch itself coming from the cable service. Is this possible?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G-Solution
2020-08-26 12:21:31 - last edited 2020-08-26 20:57:35

Dear @Remy1965,

Trying to build network using the switches DCHP for the network not the cable service router. Is this possible and if so can someone point me in the direction to do this? I want to have 4 vlans with the IP of the switch itself coming from the cable service. Is this possible?

Are you trying to connect the switch to a cable modem instead of a router?

Please kindly note that the T1600G is just a Layer 2 switch, though it supports DHCP Server, it cannot replace a router to work as a NAT device.

But if you have a router and you just want to use the T1600 as the DHCP Server instead, you may refer to the example guide below to make it.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/887/ 

Hope this information is helpful. Best regards!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G-Solution
2020-08-26 12:21:31 - last edited 2020-08-26 20:57:35

Dear @Remy1965,

Are you trying to connect the switch to a cable modem instead of a router?

Please kindly note that the T1600G is just a Layer 2 switch, though it supports DHCP Server, it cannot replace a router to work as a NAT device.

But if you have a router and you just want to use the T1600 as the DHCP Server instead, you may refer to the example guide below to make it.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/887/ 

Hope this information is helpful. Best regards!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G
2020-08-26 20:59:10
Thanks, that is the information that I needed. As I was going thru the menus I saw the Layer 3 options and was a bit confused. But as you mentioned, it does not have NAT services.
Options
Re:Sorry if this is not the space for this question - Building home network with T1600G
2020-08-27 00:43:56

@Remy1965 

Glad that the information helps. Hope you could enjoy the Internet with the switch.

Best Regards!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 436

Replies: 3

Related Articles