Firmware Update Failing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Firmware Update Failing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Firmware Update Failing
Firmware Update Failing
2020-10-02 18:18:03 - last edited 2020-10-09 19:59:03
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.0 Build 20180330 Rel.44639(s)

Hello,

I am attempting to update the firmware on the listed model (T1500G-10PS v2.0.)

I have tried multiple firmware versions (because there are a few between what I have and the newest version) and using multiple browsers with the same result - the switch stops sending and receiving traffic, the web interface fails to load and nothing seems to happen. The only way to recover is to unplug the device an plug it back in, in which is loads the previous boot image and starts up like before. Curiously, although there are 3 versions available from TP-Link, the one that is currently running on my device is not.

So here's what i have done, multiple times with slight variations in fw version and browser, step by step.

1. I select the upgrade .bin file from my PC. (I do not check the "Reboot the switch using the backup image after upgrading is completed." button)

2. I press upgrade.

3. Screen turns gray and (in MS Edge, of all browsers) it shows upload progress, this takes about 8 minutes to complete.

4. Once upload reaches 100%, it just sits there and everything becomes inaccessible. I've give it 10-15 minutes after completing the upgrade to do something but it appears nothing happens, no sign of progress, which is when i abort and restart the device by unplugging it.

On the device itself, all status lights look the same as they do during normal operation.

Am i doing something wrong? Any ideas to get past this would be greatly appreciated as the firmware on this device is pretty severely out of date and I'd like to get it updated.

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Firmware Update Failing-Solution
2020-10-07 14:15:42 - last edited 2020-10-09 19:59:03

Dear @danfbach,

The T series switches have a feature called Dual Image. With this function, the switch stores two images. One image is set as the next start up image, and the other is set as the backup image. We can choose one as Startup Image while the other as Backup Image which can enhance the system’s safety and reliability.

The Firmware Version won't change if you uncheck the "Reboot the switch using the backup image after upgrading is completed." button. 

Please go to SYSTEM > System Tools > Boot Config to check the image table and verify whether the firmware has been upgraded or not. Here is the instruction for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2147/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Firmware Update Failing-Solution
2020-10-07 14:15:42 - last edited 2020-10-09 19:59:03

Dear @danfbach,

The T series switches have a feature called Dual Image. With this function, the switch stores two images. One image is set as the next start up image, and the other is set as the backup image. We can choose one as Startup Image while the other as Backup Image which can enhance the system’s safety and reliability.

The Firmware Version won't change if you uncheck the "Reboot the switch using the backup image after upgrading is completed." button. 

Please go to SYSTEM > System Tools > Boot Config to check the image table and verify whether the firmware has been upgraded or not. Here is the instruction for your reference, https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2147/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Firmware Update Failing
2020-10-09 19:59:00
Hey There, Just thought I'd post and let you know that checking the "reboot to backup image" box worked and it ran through the update as one would expect. Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 990

Replies: 2

Related Articles