Omada Controller Client List not Refreshing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-20 19:05:21 - last edited 2020-11-21 20:57:52
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an EAP225 controlled by a Linux Omada Controller version 4.1.5 4.2.4. The "Clients" view in Omada shows connected clients, but it takes forever for disconnected clients to be purged from the list (and in fact, they still show as "connected" even long after they have disconnected). I'd like to get a more realtime view of the clients that are connected; is there a setting I'm missing to get this list to update more frequently or some way to force an update?

I should add, this is not just an issue of the web page not refreshing -- I have it configured to refresh ever 15 seconds and have added the manually refresh button -- it's as though the Controller isn't getting an updated list of associated clients from the EAP225 frequently enough.

Options
15 Reply
Re:Omada Controller Client List not Refreshing
2020-11-21 13:13:04 - last edited 2020-11-21 13:14:49

@rtadams89 

Refresh is not working when it's accessed from Dashboard > Clients/Guests. Refresh and autorefresh doesn't work from there.
But if you access them from Clients Menu, both refresh and autorefresh works.

Refresh/autorefresh not working if you accessed Clients and Guests from Main Dashboard....

But it works here.....

Options
2020-11-21 20:35:00

@hashrack 

That's where I've been trying from (the left hand "Clients" menu) and I'm not seeing clients drop off the list in a timely manner.

Options
2020-11-21 20:43:46

@rtadams89 

Try upgrading to 4.2.4 and see if this resolves your issue

Options
2020-11-21 20:57:14

@Rod-IT

I just updated to 2.4.2. Same behavior. I connect a device to the WiFi and see it show up in the list. I turned off the device and started a timer. We are now at 5 minutes since the device was turned off and yet it still shows up as "connected" in the client list.

Options
2020-11-21 21:01:27

What does it say under your log> events page?

I have not faced the issue with clients not disconnecting (though i have had multiple other issues) - are you sure they're not re-connecting automatically?

Are they guest/password based or connected by another method?

Does this happen with all devices?

I assume you mean 225 v3

If you create a dummy SSID, but configure it like your other SSID and put a device on it, then leave it a few minuites and disconnect it, does it disconnect on the screen or show in the log as disconnected?

Options
2020-11-21 21:18:18

@Rod-IT 

On the log > events page I see the original connection for the client and nothing after that. I do not see any events related to the test client after that.

I'm sure my test client is not reconencting as I've litterally powered it off to test with. Other clients that phyiscally leave the area are also showing the same behavior.

I'm fairly confident this is not an issue with te EAP225 itself, but rather with the Omada Controller. Before connecting the EAP225 to the controller, I could connect to the EAP225's built in management page and see the clients drop off in near real time; never more than a minute after they actually diconnected.

Options
2020-11-21 21:28:16

@rtadams89 

I have 2 x 245V3 and 3 x 225V3s and i do not see this behavior, i'm not saying it's not a bug, but not something i've seen with a similar setup.

If you turn off the Wi-Fi on the client, does the AP/SDN see it as a disconnection?

If you add the signal strength option (3 dots next to action), does the device still show a strong signal? Can you still ping the device's IP?

Does it happen on all bands 2.4 and 5GHz and all SSIDs or only certain types - is the SSID a guest style network or regular password type setup?

While i have not had this issue, i wonder if it's down to authentcation type or if you have anything like portal access with specific conditions

Options
2020-11-21 21:48:40

@Rod-IT 

I tried a little experiment: I went and disconnected the AP. When I got back to look at the Omada Controller management page, it shows the AP Device as "Heartbeat missed" (expected). The clients however, all show as still connected. I went and reconnected the AP Device and, after its boot up time, I see in the Omada Controller logs: "The LAN IP address/mask of <AP name> were changed to <IP address of AP>" followed by a series of log events showing the clients all disconnecting.

If you aren't seeing the same sort of behavior as I am, I may try redeploying the Omada controller on a different system to see what happens. As a benchmark. If you disconnect one of your clients, how long before it is seen as disconnected by the Omada Controller? How are you runnign the controller (container, Linux, Windows, the hardware appliance?).

Options
2020-11-21 21:53:51

@rtadams89 

Disconnected clients are gone within a few minutes - i say this as it depends on the SSID/policy.

Guest network devices sit in a pending state for a few minutes before timing out then disconnecting, regular SSID withu/p disconnect fairly quickly, I'd say 1-2 minutes

As a little background i did not upgrade from 3.2.x i did a clean install to 4.1.5 and only today did an install of 4.2.4 and restored the configuration.

I run my Omada on a debian based system, on the OS directly, it's not containered

If you are going to try an AP on a clean install, do your tests, then if you can import your configuration from the old box to the new one, with a test AP - if the issue repeats after importing your configuration, it's either a setting or a corruption, though i doubt it's a setting.

Options
2020-11-22 17:38:52

@Rod-IT 

I ended up deploying a new instance of the Omada Controller (this time on a Windows laptop) and migrated my devices to it. The migration went successfully, but after testing on this new controller, I see the same behavior. A client does not disappear from the active clients list for 5+ minutes. I migrated back to my real controller and opened a case with support. Support's response was "Great thanks for your kind feedback. At present, we don't have a way to get a realtime view of the clients that are connected. "

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4287

Replies: 15

Related Articles