Vlans not being tagged

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Vlans not being tagged

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Vlans not being tagged
Vlans not being tagged
2020-12-12 01:01:36 - last edited 2020-12-14 17:38:18
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am trying to put traffic on a port on a vlan.  I have tried in 802.1q vlan, both untagged and tagged.  When I view the packets in Wireshark, in Ethernet frame, I do not see the vlan mentioned.  Is there something wrong with the switch, and vlans? 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Vlans not being tagged
2020-12-16 09:36:20 - last edited 2020-12-16 09:41:34

Dear @droidus,

I am trying to put traffic on a port on a vlan.  I have tried in 802.1q vlan, both untagged and tagged.  When I view the packets in Wireshark, in Ethernet frame, I do not see the vlan mentioned.  Is there something wrong with the switch, and vlans? 

It may have something to do with the VLAN configuration and test method.

To better assist you, could you please draw a network topology showing the port number and VLAN you need?

How did you configure it and how you capture the packets? What do you want to achieve with the 802.1Q VLAN?

Here is a configuration example of 802.1Q VLAN for your reference.

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/788/

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-16 11:06:54

@Fae Sure, it goes from win10 client -> wap -> port 2 of switch -> port 1 (uplink) on switch -> internal-facing nic on server.  

I was hoping to segregate data.  For example, have guest devices on one network, and personal devices on the other.  

Let me know if this helps.  

Options
2020-12-18 11:35:28

Dear @droidus,

it goes from win10 client -> wap -> port 2 of switch -> port 1 (uplink) on switch -> internal-facing nic on server.  

I was hoping to segregate data.  For example, have guest devices on one network, and personal devices on the other.  

If you want the device connected to Port2 to access the Internet, please add the uplink port to the corresponding VLAN.

Besides, if the device connected to Port2 is an ordinary device and would work in VLAN2, please configure the Port2 with PVID2.

The configuration example provided in my first reply may help you with the configuration.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2020-12-18 13:08:41 - last edited 2020-12-18 13:23:29

@Fae So the 802.1Q VLAN PVID Setting.  What does that do that the setting in 802.1Q VLAN doesn't do? Shouldn't it just be enough to set the ports in 802.1Q VLAN?  And is there any way for the client to override it's vlan port ID assigned to it by the switch? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 698

Replies: 4

Related Articles