Mesh AP as wireless > wired bridge?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-08 17:56:04
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Just tried out of curiosity tried disconnecting the uplink from one of my switches that has an EAP-225 connected, I then enabled wireless uplink/mesh in the controller to reconnect the now isolated AP to the network.

The AP reconnected but it seemed also that devices connected to the same switch as it regained network access which suggests that they can indeed be used as a wireless bridge for a connected non-wireless device.

I thought I read somewhere this wasn't supported but maybe I'm misremebering.

Might be useful if I accidently break the fibre providing the backhaul between my switches or if I want to connect some devices that either don't have wireless or have poor embedded wireless solutions.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Mesh AP as wireless > wired bridge?
2021-01-08 20:19:56

Hi @dragon2611,

If I understand what you are asking, correctly, yes.  As long as one EAP225/245 remained ethernet connected to the core network, other hardwired EAP's can connect wirelessly if MESH is enabled (and their hardwire connection fails). 

Additionally, the wirelessly connect EAP can also "share" it's connection with a variety of clients:

1) wireless STA's (as you would expect)

2) MESH'ed AP's (that were linked previously)

3) Ethernet connected devices that are physically wired to the EAP (which is now MESHed).

In my case, I have an EAP245V3 in my bedroom which normally uses MOCA/Ethernet backhaul.  Additionally, this EAP is the master node for an outdoor EAP225, and is connected to an Ethernet switch to which my entertainment center and MOCA bridge are connected.

When the MOCA flakes out (a couple times a year) the EAP fails over to wireless MESH and continues to supply connectivity to all of these devices.

-Jonathan

Options
Re:Mesh AP as wireless > wired bridge?
2021-01-08 22:19:42

@dragon2611, yes that works. You can use the network port of a mesh-connected AP for other devices. For example we use it both for providing greater range for wifi-clients and connecting a wired network printer.

Also you can connect other EAPs using a switch. They will show up as "wired" in the controller UI.

A little bothersome is, that if you have for example 3 EAPs connected to a switch and the one which is connected though mesh stops working.
Then other 2 "wired" will start search for the wifi network to connect through mesh. Which is good and keeps your wifi working, but maybe slower when they are more far away from your host AP.

But if the defective AP shows up again he will be shown as "wired". That means depending on your wifi-range the mesh-connection may still be slower without any intervention. You cannot select which of the 3 EAPs should be the "host". The only way would be restart the far away EAPs and hopefully the one which is nearest will take over again.

Kind regards,

Christian

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1341

Replies: 2

Related Articles