How to log/monitor WAN port outbound traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-17 23:11:18
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1

I am trying to limit outbound traffic for most IoT devices, but have a small group that needs internet access.  I want to set up ACL rules that are limited to the servers/ports required.  Can I monitor or log outbound traffic on the WAN port to see what servers/ports these specific devices are contacting?  

Options
1 Reply
Re:How to log/monitor WAN port outbound traffic
2021-03-18 03:01:19

Dear @trimmkm,

I am trying to limit outbound traffic for most IoT devices, but have a small group that needs internet access.  I want to set up ACL rules that are limited to the servers/ports required.  Can I monitor or log outbound traffic on the WAN port to see what servers/ports these specific devices are contacting? 

Perhaps you could capture the traffic on the WAN port to have a try, need to configure port mirror on the router, install Wireshark on a PC to start capturing when the specific devices are working, then you may see what you want. Sounds complicated. The easiest way always is to contact the support of the specific devices to know what servers or ports they are using. Good luck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 957

Replies: 1