Votes

Feature: Firmware release notices?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-20 11:37:41 - last edited 2021-03-25 07:55:48
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.1 Build 20201224 Rel. 59228(5553)

I would like to be notified of firmware releases so that I can keep my EAP245 up to date.

I am directly configuring my AP.  I don't need the controller software.

• Is there a way to subscribe to notices of firmware releases (e.g an e-mail list)?  I don't want marketing e-mail, just firmware releases.
  • Can the AP check for new firmware availability and report it on the status page?

Both would be useful.  Many other routers/APs have both.

For the second, the easiest mechanism would be for TP-LINK to publish a name in DNS with the latest firmware version.

E.g. eap245v3.us.fwrelease.tp-link.com txt 5.0.1 Build 20201224 Rel. 59228(5553)

The firmware would lookup the name and display the value on the Device Information status page.

It could also log the availability of  a new version - check once a day and log only when it changes.

One advantage of this approach is that it's easy to have host software do the check and notify the users using any technology.

E.g. A host script (using either the DNS record or scanning syslog) could send e-mail, SMS, voice to the people responsible for managing updates.  This would be easy for a customer to write and/or customize.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 485

Replies: 0

Voters 4