Problem with TL-R605 in Omada controller configuration and multiple LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-15 14:56:04 - last edited 2021-04-16 09:12:41
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest

Hello,

I have a problem with a TL-R605 in a Omada controller configuration.

I created two lan in Wired Networks>LAN

192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1

the second LAN on port 5 (only lan)

but when I connect devices on port 5 they takes ip from the default LAN 192.168.0.1

I don't use any other L3 switches, I only want to use two different network with two unmanaged switches connected to 2 lan port of the R605.

Is this possible?

Some advices?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:Problem with TL-R605 in Omada controller configuration and multiple LAN
2021-04-17 01:34:40

@massimilianop 

The ER605 can only DHCP on one subnet, so you need an Omada compatible switch to do what you want.

Options
2021-04-17 01:55:49

I hope you have looked under Settings / Wired Networks / LAN. Try creating a new LAN, with purpose of "interface" and select the corresponding LAN port, and specify the vlan ID of 1 (since you have no vlans on that interface, but I believe it will still ask you to have a vlan ID, and vlan 1 will mean untagged traffic). Then specify the IP under subnet / gateway (in second subnet) and enable dhcp server and type in the dhcp range etc. This may meet your needs.

Note 4 ports out of 5  are dual personality and marked as WAN / LANx. So those ports can be used for either function. By default LAN network may have all, but first WAN checked in, so you need to first free up port from under LAN wired network and then use this free port to create a new LAN segment on a different subnet than your other LAN segment.

Options
2021-04-17 03:03:31
The system won't let you uncheck the ports on the default Lan and save the change. You get an error message "the purpose of the default lan can not be changed". The ER605 is vlan aware but can only issue IPs on one subnet. You need an Omada compatible switch with the L2+ feature of DHCP server to issue other subnets.
Options
2021-04-17 03:17:31 - last edited 2021-04-17 03:18:03

@1207 

I have a working gateway with latest firmware 1.0.1 and OC300 with 4.2.11 and 12 of EAP245 with 5.0.1, and I have two wireless SSID each with a different subnet (and a management subnet that I have Ip addersses for all network devices, servers and appliances) and wireless clients get IP from the both subnets based on the SSID. One is labeled Private Wi-Fi and other is Guest Wi-Fi. Both interfaces allowed me to set up dhcp scope and I see in the middle of the night, 11 wireless clients, 4 in Guest WiFi subnet of 172.16.xxx.0/24 and 7 in Private subnet of 10.10.xxx.0/24 (I don't have access to the controller but I have access to a server that I can do a IP scan across L3 and see these clients. During the day, I will have 60 plus devices. And this is a business. I am not allowed to send screenshots, else I would have.

And I did not say to uncheck LAN port. There are 3 ports that are labeled WAN/LANx. One is WAN and one is LAN only.  Under LAN network, we will have by default LAN port checked in and WAN/LAN1 thru WAN/LAN3 also checked in. We can uncheck one of these dual personality port and should be able to free that one from LAN segment and then use that independently as a second LAN segment. 

I do have Qty 4 of 3428XMP switches but I am using them as pure L2 and have no inter-vlan routing or dhcp scopes hosted on the switches.

Options
2021-04-17 03:39:18 - last edited 2021-04-17 14:37:51

@massimilianop 

You can't uncheck any of the changeable wan/lan ports on the default lan (not talking about lan port, I'm talking about the system generated lan network) and save the change.

Maybe a moderator can answer the question if the ER605 router can DHCP and create multiple subnets, when under Omada control and when not using a switch with DHCP server features.  

Options
2021-04-20 15:48:43

Hello,

I can confirm that without a switch you cannot create a separate lan only with the router.

I just bought a TL-SG2008 and now I can separate networks also via interface, not only by vlan.

It was strange for me, because I can't believe that a device like a vpn router cannot do a simple thing like have two separate lan for two different ports, but Tp-Link conceived it like this and we can't do anything else.

Thanks for the support.

Options
2021-07-10 20:14:18

This is annoying as hell. Not just because the lack of a particular feature, but because these limitations do not seem to be mentioned anywhere in their product materials that you'd review before buying. On the specifications page, it even says "DHCP: DHCP Server/Client • DHCP Address Reservation • Multi-net DHCP*** • Multi-IP Interfaces***" with the *** stating that it is a "Controller Mode" feature, and not that it requires an Omada enabled switch. 

massimilianop wrote  

It was strange for me, because I can't believe that a device like a vpn router cannot do a simple thing like have two separate lan for two different ports, but Tp-Link conceived it like this and we can't do anything else.

@massimilianop 

OC200, 2x SG-TL3428, T1500G-10MPS, 3x EAP225, Firewalla Gold (replaced ER-605)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3387

Replies: 7

Related Articles