Band Steering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Band Steering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Band Steering
Band Steering
2021-04-30 07:15:24 - last edited 2021-04-30 09:38:28
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 2.7.0 Build 2020113 Rel. 38287(5553)

Hi All,

New member here.

I just bought 2 EAP-225 AP's and I have a ASUS RT-68U wifi router.

I used the software controller to make all my adjustments.  I made both SSID the same name and of course I enabled the option.  For the life of me, I tried just about everything I could read up about it and could not get the band to switch back to 5G.  I was conducting the test with an iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 5, and macbook pro mid 2015 (Big Sur).  I tried messing with the power for each band, making the 5G stronger.  I tried messing with the RSSI threshold to force the 2.4G band to cut off and let the device connect to the 5G band.  I disabled MESH.

Can someone provide some tips?  Or is it common for this feature to be flaky?  This would really make this AP a solid buy for me.  At the moment, the only thing going for this AP is the price point and ability to adjust a ton of options.  But it's still not providing optimum use ability.

Please help.

Thanks,

magic_tp

Options
6 Reply
Re:Band Steering
2021-04-30 21:45:42

@magic_tp 

Band steering works within one SSID not across two SSIDs. Create the SSID and select the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz boxes. 

Options
2021-05-01 03:26:01

@magic_tp it also won't work with the asus and EAP's together. 

Options
2021-05-01 09:34:05
1207, Thanks for replying but I said I did that already. I was hoping for a better suggestion than that. Were you able to get it to work? Is it consistent? What device did it work with?
Options
2021-05-01 09:44:42

@BubbaW 

The ASUS is performing the routing and is basically another access point.  You saying I need a specific TP-LINK router for band steering to work?

I assumed band steering is a function of the specific EAP?  Or at least between EAP #1, #2 and the software controller.

So did you get this to work?  What is your setup?  Has it been consistent for you?

Options
2021-05-01 13:24:10 - last edited 2021-05-01 23:29:17

@magic_tp 

Band steering is not for moving a client from one ssid to another ssid.  It's for moving a client to the 5 ghz band within a specific ssid.  It will work across all EAPs that have the same SSID name and password.  You only said you created two ssid and selected band steering. From that statement it sounded like you where trying to move a client from one ssid to another with band steering.  It can't move a client connected to a ASUS router/ap between the two bands.  Can you even create one ssid on the Asus router/ap that has both bands? 

I have band steering implemented and it works.  Fills up the 5 ghz band until it hits the specified limit and then starts using the 2.4 ghz band for other clients. It woks with ipads, iphones, android phones, echos, laptops, etc.

Also, the controller needs to be running for band steering to work.

Options
2021-05-02 07:52:20

@1207 

It's one SSID for both bands, always has been, you can read my original post for proof, but anyway...

Also to note, I been using 1 EAP-225 to try the band steering on.

Ok, so found other threads on this topic and it was mentioned that the latest software controller version was needed.  It was also mentioned, as you have said, that the controller needs to be running.  These were the type of tips I was looking for...thank you!  In any case, when I first tried it out, I did have the software controller running, but my software was not the latest.  So I upgraded my software controller version to 4.3.5, and the EAP-225 firmware to 5.0.3.  However, I still don't think it's working but I need to get clarification on the operation first.

My observation & operation (with Macbook):

1.  Join SSID:  MBP connects to 5G, signal nice and strong, RSSI = -50ish dBm.

2.  Move away from AP to weaken signal, RSSI = -72-80 dBm.

3.  Still able to surf web and MBP hangs on 5G.  At this point though, I was hoping MBP switched to 2.4G to get a stronger RSSI.

>> At some point, the laptop looses internet connection and switches to 2.4G.

4.  I go back into strong RSSI range for the 5G and my laptop DOES NOT switch back to 5G.

5.  I turn off wifi and turn it back on again, it'll join the 5G SSID.

Is this correct?  I thought the device would switch to 2.4 if the RSSI was too small on 5G (which is does harshly), but when the RSSI got better, the device switches back automatically to 5G?  I have to cycle wifi on/off in order to make it switch.

I appreciate your help.

--------------------------------

Regarding using the same SSID for both bands on the ASUS, I never tried but I think it should take it.  We have an old Cisco/Linksys router that had the same SSID for both bands but I wasn't the one using it and I didn't check which band it was actually on.  But nonetheless, it was working for years with that config.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1392

Replies: 6

Related Articles