TP-Link Omada - is cloud mandatory?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-12 08:32:54 - last edited 2021-05-13 16:19:08
Model: EAP265 HD  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am considering EAP265 for office where i will need probably 5 access points distributed in 3 floors.

But i really don't want any cloud connection whatsoever. It is security risc. It is reason why i am searching for another system and don't consider UniFi (for example) anymore anywhere. It requires cloud account and connection through cloud is enabled by default and can be only disabled (maybe), but cannot be removed. Which is totally wrong. I want WiFi administration to be accessible only locally (through OpenVPN managed on different edge router).

So - is cloud connection in Omada mandatory?

I know Omada can be managed through cloud, it is in datasheets, but is it only possibility or is it required?

Another reason - whole network must be possible set up offline even without access to the internet and must be independent on manufacturer/vendor. Even if it is not office, where are very confidential informations.

What else i will need except EAP265? Some controller like needed for UniFi? Or several EAP265 are just enough for WiFi with good roaming?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-Link Omada - is cloud mandatory?-Solution
2021-05-12 14:34:20 - last edited 2021-05-13 16:19:08

@Derega58 

"So - is cloud connection in Omada mandatory?"

The cloud is not required. You don't need to setup a cloud account or you can have a cloud account and keep it turned off.

If you want to implement fast roaming, meshing or band steering you need a controller online. This can be a free local software (linux or windows) or hardware controller (OC200 or OC300).  The controller also allows easier setup if you have many Omada devices and provides client and device statistics.  

Clients will move between EAPs without the controller. You can evaluate the roaming using the free software controller and decide if you need an online controller. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-Link Omada - is cloud mandatory?-Solution
2021-05-12 14:34:20 - last edited 2021-05-13 16:19:08

@Derega58 

"So - is cloud connection in Omada mandatory?"

The cloud is not required. You don't need to setup a cloud account or you can have a cloud account and keep it turned off.

If you want to implement fast roaming, meshing or band steering you need a controller online. This can be a free local software (linux or windows) or hardware controller (OC200 or OC300).  The controller also allows easier setup if you have many Omada devices and provides client and device statistics.  

Clients will move between EAPs without the controller. You can evaluate the roaming using the free software controller and decide if you need an online controller. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP-Link Omada - is cloud mandatory?
2021-05-12 20:13:51

@1207 Thank you very much. I am really glad to hear that. I really want limit any access to only from local network.

For configuration and statistics, I think, OC200 is better choice than just software on regular PC (or virtual machine), by my experience it will be probably more reliable, i hope.

But what you mean by "online controller"? Is it OC200 running 24/7 in same network segment or did you meant some webservice elsewhere - in cloud?

Options
2021-05-12 20:56:34
Yes, the OC200 running 24/7.
Options
2021-05-14 03:53:20

@Derega58 Not mandatory, but very very convenient.  You will probably end up wanting it.  Security and convenience do have a happy place.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2456

Replies: 4