Why does it take a long time to open shared folders

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-16 16:04:15 - last edited 2022-10-22 16:30:21
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone. Such a question, On a windows 10 computer (also tried on another on windows 7) I made a shared folder with video. Then I try to launch it from Android phones, using the VLC program - an overview of the network. He sees computers on the network right away, but it takes 3-5 minutes to enter folders. When it finally opens, it is already possible to open directories inside and watch movies without any problems. I tried to install different File Managers, there is no problem there already comes in quickly. I also installed (on computers) the Serviio media server program, indicated the folders with films. VLC also sees Serviio in the network environment, but it also takes a very long time to enter. I tried all the options in VLC (all SMB checkboxes, etc.) I tried all the checkboxes in Omada in Attack Defense and Firewall. Disabled completely antivirus and Firewall on computers. Nothing helps. Then I connected everything to a regular cheap router and everything worked, quickly and without waiting. My config OC200 TL-R605 TL-SG2008P EAP620v1 EAP265v1 firmware all latest. Lan 192.168.0.xx

The computers have a static address. As with all equipment. Phones without a static address.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Why does it take a long time to open shared folders -Solution
2021-11-17 02:16:07 - last edited 2022-10-22 16:30:21

@mur77 

Do you have trouble entering the folder by typing in the address? Not via the program, just the computer, address bar, the address, enter.

Here are two links for similar issues:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/156064-network-share-files-take-a-long-time-to-appear-for-others

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/slow-network-performance-remote-computer

It's not an issue with the router/OC. More like a WinOS issue. Let me know the result. 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Why does it take a long time to open shared folders -Solution
2021-11-17 02:16:07 - last edited 2022-10-22 16:30:21

@mur77 

Do you have trouble entering the folder by typing in the address? Not via the program, just the computer, address bar, the address, enter.

Here are two links for similar issues:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/156064-network-share-files-take-a-long-time-to-appear-for-others

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/slow-network-performance-remote-computer

It's not an issue with the router/OC. More like a WinOS issue. Let me know the result. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Why does it take a long time to open shared folders
2021-11-18 12:37:58 - last edited 2021-11-18 12:39:21

@John1234 

Thanks for the answer and for the links. I tried disabling and enabling different versions of SMB1 SMB2 SMB3 in windows 7 and 10, it doesn't affect anything. At least on Android phones. Turning on the guest account on Windows helps: When you try to open the computer on the phone in the VLC program (even before the network folders are shown) But I noticed that sometimes randomly all the same pops up a sign requiring authorization from Windows. There you can press cancel or enter any numbers or letters, then log in without any problems. As a result, it can open immediately and watch movies without any problems, and sometimes it takes a long time to open and requires authorization (where any symbols are suitable). It definitely became better, but it’s not clear why the effect sometimes appears. I will experiment further.

Options
Re:Why does it take a long time to open shared folders
2021-11-19 03:47:23

@mur77 

Hmm.. Authorization and sign in.. I assume it's window's on sleep? I remember that when the PC sleeps, disks will be turned off too. When you access the folder, the request will be sent to the PC. Then, it boots up again and wakes up the disks. Could be the cause?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 445

Replies: 3

Related Articles