Raspberry pi purchase advice

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-01-04 21:13:15
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello !

I am preparing for a new site, where I am going to have about 10 EAP245's. (Routers and switches are something else) I run Unifi APs elsewhere, and have Raspberry pi 4 with 4GB RAM for Unifi Controller: I installed RaspiOS with recommended applications and use them , too, so 4GB is good. Now, I am thinking of using a Raspi for Omada controller as well for the new site instead of OC200, because I want to hook a water sensor to watch out for flood in the basement. But otherwise I don't use the Raspi for anything else, because I'm not on that network for my personal use. I haven't bought Raspi yet but I already installed RaspiOS without various applications on an SD card, and installed Omada on it (using the other Raspi for Unifi, and this guide https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/261734), and made it work. (I got just one EAP245 earlier for testing purpose). So the card is there, ready to go, once I buy a new Raspi.

Now, I'm thinking that 2GB version of Raspi should be enough if I don't do anything else. But once I talked with an IT professional who uses EAP's for clients, he said that he tried Omada controller on a Raspi but it was "too weak." I would like to know if Raspi 4 with 2GB would be too weak: since I'm not going to be his client, I hesitate to contact him and ask him further exactly what Rapsi he used etc. I would appreciate very much for your advice ! I'm guessing 1GB is indeed weak, because it's supposedly weak for Unifi Controller.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Raspberry pi purchase advice
2022-01-05 08:47:41

Dear @doremifajb

doremifajb wrote

Now, I'm thinking that 2GB version of Raspi should be enough if I don't do anything else. But once I talked with an IT professional who uses EAP's for clients, he said that he tried Omada controller on a Raspi but it was "too weak." I would like to know if Raspi 4 with 2GB would be too weak: since I'm not going to be his client, I hesitate to contact him and ask him further exactly what Rapsi he used etc. I would appreciate very much for your advice ! I'm guessing 1GB is indeed weak, because it's supposedly weak for Unifi Controller.

Generally speaking, if you don't have many devices to manage, 2GB could be also fine.
The Controller normally runs on about 600M of RAM.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 456

Replies: 1