Inaccurate speed tests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Inaccurate speed tests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Inaccurate speed tests
Inaccurate speed tests
2022-01-15 18:56:20
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1

i recently upgraded to gigabit services through my cable interne provider. I've verified the modem itself speed tests to the highest possible speed (around 950Mbps), and plugging directly into the router (ER605) via a LAN port with several computers, I was able to speedtest to similar speeds. However, the automated speed test only ever tests to a little over 500Mbps.

Obviously this is confusing...if I'm plugged into that very router, and get the expected speed test results, it stands to reason that the router itself would get the same (or perhaps marginally better) results when testing itself.

Is this a known issue? I've eliminated all hardware-related possibilities (cabling, etc), even replicating the correct vs incorrect results with the same identical cables. The only possible thing could be a bug in the speed test (of which I've seen there have been other issues in the past). Is there a fix for this incoming? I'm on the latest versions of all firmware, etc.

Should this still be a technical limitation I'm not aware of, is there a way to import the correct speed test via an API or something? I could set up a Pi hole to get the correct results and export them to the Omada system.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Inaccurate speed tests
2022-01-17 01:17:50

@chrisfromthelc from what I have read, and specificall to the ER605, you will probably need to turn off hardware offload to allow the CPU to track the data more closely so that the stats are more in alignment with whats actually being sent and received. 

I saw the same thing and decided to turn off my hardware offload.  If you can afford to do that and it causes no detriment in performance, you will see better stats.  But if you are running gig speeds...that may prove too much for the ER605 and it could impact your speed performance and you may have to put the HW offload back on again to remove that extra processing by the CPU

Options
2022-01-17 01:59:06

@Fleegle61 Thanks for the tip. I gave that a try and didn't see any real improvement. I wonder if the ER7206 has the same issues.

Options
2022-01-17 02:11:29

@chrisfromthelc I heard the 7206 does not have that issue.  Also it takes some time for the stats to take effect so dont look for immediate updates.  Try keeping the HW offload off for a day and then check the stats to see if that resolves your issue

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 702

Replies: 3