Help i need to redirect lan trafic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-11 10:00:15 - last edited 2022-03-15 06:56:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V1_1.2.0 Build 20220114

Hi Guy's,

I'm in need to redirect some lan traffic (DNS) from a source ip to a different destination ip within my lan. How do i set this up?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Help i need to redirect lan trafic
2022-03-14 01:21:50

@TL-R605 

Hi, welcome.

From what you described, I believe that you need to set up your own DNS server. To translate the domain name to the IP, you need the help of DNS server. Therefore, you set up your DNS server locally. If you use public DNS server, you cannot define the domain and IP because they run the maintenance.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-14 08:55:26

Hi @Hank21 ,

Indeed, i allready have 4 dns servers installed 2 sets. In my case i want to use the policy in my router to block udp 53 (DNS) from any of my dhcp clients. And only allow my dns servers to proccess these requests. So for the majority (for my devices and those of my childeren) it will be fine. As they either be resolved by my  own dns server and ar blocked by the router. How ever i recently got an update on my android phone and it seems like it is using hard coded dns servers. Allthough i'm not 100% sure yet. And i've got some chromecast devices, those defenitly use hardcoded dns servers of google.

This should be solved by blocking the dns requests, forcing the chromecasts to fallback on the dns servers provided by my network. How ever they are a bit particular on these requests and are forcing them to be a response of 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4. In other words, it forces me to use the Google dns servers. And that is all fine, how ever i don't want to utilize it for all of my network. While i'm able to relay these request to Google via my own dns server. I dont want to use it for my whole network. And this is the exact point where i need the policy routing on lan. So that i can redirect my chromecasts to the dns servers that are relay's of the Google DNS. And have all other devices use my normal DNS servers.

Options
2022-03-14 09:28:47

@TL-R605 

If you want to simply block a port, you can set up the ACL. For that devices are hardcoded with their DNS, I am afraid there is nothing we/you can do. The domain names are first handed to the DNS on devices, then to the LAN DNS, to WAN DNS. If anything in this process fails to connect the domain, it'll be handed to the next. Your understanding is correct.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-04-13 01:33:55

@Hank21 

This exact thing is possible with AsusWRT Merlin (dnsfiltering) and any firewalls/routers that support routing and masquerading traffic.

if this is not possible now, it would be a great feature to add to the Omada ecosystem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1350

Replies: 4

Related Articles