Still no SNMP to and from router and controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-30 15:24:59 - last edited 2022-04-15 14:44:09

Anyone been able to successfully get your SNMP agent to talk to the ER605 or OC200?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Still no SNMP to and from router and controller-Solution
2022-04-15 14:43:50 - last edited 2022-04-15 14:44:09

@Fleegle61....so...I figured I would try some tests to see what the deal was.   I was able to get my NMS to collect data from the ER605 only if I used SNMP v3 and not 2c.  Even though 2c is turned on, the router will not answer.  I suspect maybe because its being managed by the OC200???  But none the less, if I turn on v3 and set up a username and password, my NMS can then access the router port 161 with auth/nopriv and MD5 hash.  

So maybe @Fae can provide some background as to whether or not thats true in that SNMP version 2c is blocked by the router when its being managed.  I am not looking to put the router in standalone mode to see if thats truly the case or not.

So for anyone else looking to monitor your ER605 (not sure if this is the same case as the 7206) via SNMP, you may find that SNMP V2c is not gonna work for you  and you will have to work with v3 instead. 

And its only the router, my switches and AP's do not have that issue at all.  

I had thought maybe it was a release 4 or perhaps a release 5.0 issue but even using 5.17, it still prevails.  So maybe the router needs an update from 1.2 to fix this issue, if its actually an issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Still no SNMP to and from router and controller
2022-03-31 10:18:03

Dear @Fleegle61 ,

Fleegle61 wrote

Anyone been able to successfully get your SNMP agent to talk to the ER605 or OC200?

May I know the current firmware version of your controller and ER605?

And you may try to use the SNMP Walk to test whether the issue still exist.

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-03-31 10:49:16

@Hank21 I am running the latest version on the router 1.20 and 5.0.30 on the controller. 

This has been an issue for quite a while.  My SNMP server is able to monitor my EAP225, 2008 and 2210 with no problems.  But when I try to discover the router and controller, it says no response from devices on ports 161.  I checked and it is turned on and the community string is set to public. 

When I go into Settings/Services/SNMP everything is turned on as it should be with public as the community string

Everything is controlled by the OC200 so I don't know if it would work if I put everything in standalone mode.  

Options
2022-03-31 14:41:22

@Fleegle61 I get snmp data from the 605 fine, though I am using the software controller rather than oc200

Options
2022-03-31 23:46:34

@Vyizis Interesting point that you have no issue with SNMP using the software controller but I have the issue with the hardware controller.  @Fae should take a look into this one!  Maybe its already a known bug that might get fixed in the next 5.1.X release.  

So I will continue to hunt down if anyone else is having issues with their ER605 and OC200 with SNMP not responding.  

Options
2022-04-01 05:53:59

Dear @Fleegle61

Fleegle61 wrote

@Hank21 I am running the latest version on the router 1.20 and 5.0.30 on the controller. 

This has been an issue for quite a while.  My SNMP server is able to monitor my EAP225, 2008 and 2210 with no problems.  But when I try to discover the router and controller, it says no response from devices on ports 161.  I checked and it is turned on and the community string is set to public. 

When I go into Settings/Services/SNMP everything is turned on as it should be with public as the community string

Everything is controlled by the OC200 so I don't know if it would work if I put everything in standalone mode.  

1. Is the PC directly connected  to ER605?
2. It is suggestion that you can simplify the topology by leaving only one PoE switch and OC200 connected to the gateway, then see if the problem still exists?
3. Did you have this problem with the firmware version of ER605 v1.1.1?

Best Regards!

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Still no SNMP to and from router and controller-Solution
2022-04-15 14:43:50 - last edited 2022-04-15 14:44:09

@Fleegle61....so...I figured I would try some tests to see what the deal was.   I was able to get my NMS to collect data from the ER605 only if I used SNMP v3 and not 2c.  Even though 2c is turned on, the router will not answer.  I suspect maybe because its being managed by the OC200???  But none the less, if I turn on v3 and set up a username and password, my NMS can then access the router port 161 with auth/nopriv and MD5 hash.  

So maybe @Fae can provide some background as to whether or not thats true in that SNMP version 2c is blocked by the router when its being managed.  I am not looking to put the router in standalone mode to see if thats truly the case or not.

So for anyone else looking to monitor your ER605 (not sure if this is the same case as the 7206) via SNMP, you may find that SNMP V2c is not gonna work for you  and you will have to work with v3 instead. 

And its only the router, my switches and AP's do not have that issue at all.  

I had thought maybe it was a release 4 or perhaps a release 5.0 issue but even using 5.17, it still prevails.  So maybe the router needs an update from 1.2 to fix this issue, if its actually an issue. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-04-26 09:54:15

Dear @Fleegle61 ,

Fleegle61 wrote

Sorry for the late reply, it took some time to confirm the information with support team.
It has been verified that this router supports V2c, can you try the MIB browser and see if V2c works?

Best Regards!

Options
2022-04-26 10:29:51

@Hank21 

You may not have read the full chain of events.  I did a SNMP walk and I could not get any response using version 2c.  But I was able to get my NMS server to see SNMP under version 3 just fine.  

When I did a NMAP scan, yes port 161 is there, as confirmed with SNMP v3.  

So there is some problem with the router not wanting to send data using  version 2c.  And it may have to do with being adopted by the OC200.  I am not in a position at this time to unmanage the router from the OC200 to see if I could actually get SNMP 2c traffic of not. 

But TP-Link should be able to test that in the lab to see if my claims are true or not.  

I am ok using SNMP V3 for the time being so now I can see all my TP-Link hardware in my NMS server (2-EAP225, 1-ER605, 1-2008P and 1-2210P)

I am not sure if the OC22 will or can do SNMP at all.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 705

Replies: 8

Related Articles