Network with multiple remote WANS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-03-31 12:03:39

I am looking at migrating a hotel network to Omada. This 30-room hotel has two buildings with the rooms plus a reception building. The current network has GPON fibre links going to each building. The room buildings have two GPON WANs, one for internet and one for IPTV.  Network connections between the buildings for things like the SIP phones are done with port forwarding over the internet which I don't like.

I would like to upgrade this with modern Omada SDN equipment and have one LAN network linking all buildings, but this fibre was installed recently by the provider and I would prefer not to have to convince the owner to have these connections moved to the main server room.

Question 1: can Omada support multiple WANs in different locations? My first choice would be if they could be used in a load-balancing configuration serving demand across the property but it this is not possible it would also be acceptable if each building’s internet traffic was tied to that building’s WAN connection.

Question 2: is there a way to tunnel certain traffic such as the IPTV service to a particular WAN? I see from another post that WAN <-> VLAN tagging is not supported by Omada but I want to check if this is still the case in 2022 or if there is another solution. This is less important and I could maintain a separate network for IPTV if necessary.

Question 3: has anyone used the SFP+ GPON modules (of any brand) with Omada routers or switches? I would like to get rid of the provider’s router boxes as they are very slow and crash frequently.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Network with multiple remote WANS
2022-04-01 11:32:54

@Eric2022 

1. As I know, the ER605 and ER7206 can both support multiple WANs and load balance function.

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er605/#overview

2. On the controller, you can do the IPTV related seeings as follow:

3. Maybe you can consider the ER7206 with the SFP port.

https://www.tp-link.com/business-networking/omada-sdn-router/er7206/

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-04-01 12:17:31

@Virgo 

Thanks for this. The IPTV options looks like it can do what I wanted.

I still have to decide what to do about the three buildings with separate WAN connections. I haven't been able to see how Omada can handle multiple remote WANs, so I think the best option will be to try to convince the owner to have the provider move the fibre to a central location.

The other option I was considering is to use three ER7206s and have different networks in each building with a site-to-site VPN link. I see that the ER7206 has a VPN capacity of about 300mpbs which is much more than I need.

Options
2022-06-22 12:14:45 - last edited 2022-10-13 11:22:03

EDIT

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 474

Replies: 3

Related Articles