Omada OpenVPN and client IP address reservation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-25 19:08:50 - last edited 2022-05-30 06:26:22
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 5.3.1

I use Omada Software Controller, version 5.3.1. I have set up OpenVPN server to connect to and it works fine. But because it is not currently possible to set IP pool only for one IP address I would like to be able to set IP reservation for connected clients, but it doesn't seem currently possible. Is there any way how to achieve this?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada OpenVPN and client IP address reservation-Solution
2022-05-27 06:42:22 - last edited 2022-05-30 06:26:22

@NeoCZ 

I also tried, if you set up OpenVPN, the subnet mask can only choose 16-29, I think it may be because the establishment of VPN channels, both ends need to have one to several virtual IP, so the address pool is not limited to 32, it seems that the design mechanism is so, I also built a topology to do experiments, the result of the test is that at least three virtual IPs need to be used.

Of course, if you use L2TP or PPTP should not have similar problems, it can be limited to 32.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada OpenVPN and client IP address reservation
2022-05-26 08:00:50

@NeoCZ 

In my opinion, it can not be set, because the address reservation function is for DHCP, but the VPN client is from the VPN IP pool to get IP, the mechanism is not the same.

Options
2022-05-26 09:45:14

@Virgo 

I understand this, but is there any reason why you can't set IP pool to only one IP address to be sure you get always the same IP? I only connect one client using VPN and I would like to be able to set firewall/other rules based on it's IP it gets when it connects via OpenVPN.

Options
Re:Omada OpenVPN and client IP address reservation-Solution
2022-05-27 06:42:22 - last edited 2022-05-30 06:26:22

@NeoCZ 

I also tried, if you set up OpenVPN, the subnet mask can only choose 16-29, I think it may be because the establishment of VPN channels, both ends need to have one to several virtual IP, so the address pool is not limited to 32, it seems that the design mechanism is so, I also built a topology to do experiments, the result of the test is that at least three virtual IPs need to be used.

Of course, if you use L2TP or PPTP should not have similar problems, it can be limited to 32.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-05-27 12:19:40

@Virgo 

It seems from officila OpenVPN website, that OpenVPN server itself support static client IP, so it's just TP-link / Omada doesn't support it. I hope this feature will be added soon I like OpenVPN more than other solutions, but fact Omada is missing static client IP/IP reservation is a shame.

Options
2022-12-03 09:30:56

Any chance to get IP reservation for OpenVPN? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 825

Replies: 5

Related Articles