Usage statistics are assigned to wrong client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-13 07:48:25 - last edited 2022-07-14 06:36:58
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15.2 Build 20220323 Rel.60717

Hi,

I have an unmanaged switch in my TV cabinet. That switch is connected to my main managed switch. To that unmanaged switch, I have connected Apple-TV and Yamaha-AV.

In OC200 web interface, all the traffic from AppleTV is reported as traffic to/from Yamaha.

AppleTV has IP: 192.168.30.101

Yamaha has IP: 192.168.30.100

I see those devices correctly in the device list. But the traffic data is wrongly assigned to them.

Yamaha generally doesn't use the internet at all. So it is easy to notice.

AppleTV

And Yamaha

Network diagram:

Options
3 Reply
Re:Usage statistics are assigned to wrong client
2022-07-14 07:34:16

The switch may not be able to count the traffic of each client under the same port by the IP address, it can only count traffic by the port as it's a layer2 device. 
You can refer to the similar post: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/275208

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-07-14 10:22:25

@Virgo 
Shouldn't that be possible by MAC addresses of devices?

Options
2022-08-12 22:38:46 - last edited 2022-08-12 22:52:04

Going to piggyback on this because I'm having the same issue.  The threads state that by having an Omada gateway it will report the traffic based on IP address, but that seems to be incorrect.  All of my traffic is routed through an SG2428P connected to an ER605 and yet I'm still showing the traffic for all of my VMs and services running on a server connected to a single port as coming from just a single arbitrary client.  The only exception to that is the actual physical server itself, which is reporting some minor traffic which I presume is correct from when I'm accessing the web interface of the server.

Is the solution to this supposed to be that this traffic has to be routed directly through the gateway itself and bypass the switch?

Regardless though, I'm unsure of why this is a problem.  As Hooch noted, this should be possible just by MAC address.  I switched from an identical network layout with Ubiquiti hardware and had no issue with proper detection of per client traffic statistics on it, so I'm unsure why this is suddenly an issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 350

Replies: 3

Related Articles