Omada Compatible Unmanaged Switch?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-20 01:41:11 - last edited 2022-08-31 00:05:19
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Will the omada controller be able to manage my access points even if use an unmanaged switch like the TL-SG1008/TL-SF1024.
Do I really need to use a compatible managed switch?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada Compatible Unmanaged Switch?-Solution
2022-07-20 13:02:57 - last edited 2022-08-30 23:58:24

Jashua_Bat2022 wrote

Will the omada controller be able to manage my access points even if use an unmanaged switch like the TL-SG1008/TL-SF1024.

@Jashua_Bat2022 if a switch is unamanaged, what exactly do you want to manage on it if it is unmanaged? I see a lot of times replies that one needs managed switch for something and then people are buying those managed switches, mostly for the case to split mgmt and other vlan's. You do not need managed switch especially if you do not know what exactly you should manage. Does it have to be tp-link's switch to have vlan's? No, you can use any router with as example openwrt but non omada switches will not be managable over controller. What for exactly do you need managed switch?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada Compatible Unmanaged Switch?
2022-07-20 07:19:19

@Jashua_Bat2022 Yes you can use Controller to manage the EAP, no need Omada compatible switch.

You just cannot use the switch/router related functions in Controller.

Options
Re:Omada Compatible Unmanaged Switch?-Solution
2022-07-20 13:02:57 - last edited 2022-08-30 23:58:24

Jashua_Bat2022 wrote

@Jashua_Bat2022 if a switch is unamanaged, what exactly do you want to manage on it if it is unmanaged? I see a lot of times replies that one needs managed switch for something and then people are buying those managed switches, mostly for the case to split mgmt and other vlan's. You do not need managed switch especially if you do not know what exactly you should manage. Does it have to be tp-link's switch to have vlan's? No, you can use any router with as example openwrt but non omada switches will not be managable over controller. What for exactly do you need managed switch?

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-31 09:13:27

@Somnus @btx
Thanks, both you. I bought 2 managed switches, Oc200, Er605 and soon setting it all up. I'm a newbie when it comes to computer networking, I only know some basic stuffs. I've watched a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to set it up and I think I'm ready.
This is my basic setup Dual ISP INTERNET>TL-ER605>Oc200 connected to Switch>tenant's non-tplink router>computer/wireless devices. I've some questions, is my setup ok? Will I still be able to see and manage clients even if we use non-tplink router?

Options
2022-07-31 12:33:24

@Jashua_Bat2022

It depends what you mean by "see and manage clients"?  Assuming the thing you are referring to as "tenant's router", is actually a firewall/router, you won't be able to see any of the individual clients behind it.  The device will be nat'ing them up and it will all look like a single device.

If you are trying to isolate the traffic from the tenant from other traffic in the LAN network, you won't be able to if the ER605 is managed by the controller unless you also have switches which can be managed by the controller or L3 managed switches.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3028

Replies: 4

Related Articles