Switch with POE and access points on OC200

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-26 00:15:59 - last edited 2022-08-02 03:17:07
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Looking to set up a network with the following:

OC200 controller

EAP670 x3 [to cover an area of 200 feet in length and 30 feet wide]

TL-SG108PE switch to for PoE

Router ER7206

I'm currently under the impression that the TL-SG108PE switch can't be managed by the OC200 controller. The switch would need to be managed via it's own interface, is this correct?

Would there be any issues setting up 3 Vlans [so all EAPs can route clients accordingly] on the switch while using the Router ER7206?

Are there any incompatabilty issues?

Would the Router ER605 be the same? Can't be managed by the OC200 controller? The ER605 is now end of life correct?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switch with POE and access points on OC200-Solution
2022-07-26 15:51:13 - last edited 2022-07-26 15:56:22

CineM wrote

I'd like to try setting up the ER7206 in standalone mode, I suspect the option for standalone mode is siimple enough to find in the menus?

@CineM If you forget it from the controller it should reset itself and be in standalone mode.  Keep in mind, it will need to be reconfigured after this action.

CineM wrote

Is it just as simple to remove it from standalone mode?

You can always adopt it back to the controller again.

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Switch with POE and access points on OC200
2022-07-26 00:21:57

CineM wrote

I'm currently under the impression that the TL-SG108PE switch can't be managed by the OC200 controller. The switch would need to be managed via it's own interface, is this correct?

Yes, correct

CineM wrote

Would there be any issues setting up 3 Vlans [so all EAPs can route clients accordingly] on the switch while using the Router ER7206?

No, but you would need to the ER7206 to be in standalone mode if you want to be able to prevent traffic from freely crossing between those multiple network segments.  When managed by the controller, it can't do that.  When managed by the controller it relies on Omada managed switches to control the ACLs.

Basically, you would only be using the controller for the access points.

CineM wrote

Would the Router ER605 be the same? Can't be managed by the OC200 controller?

Yes, the same.  It can be managed by the controller but would have the same limitation as the ER7206.

Options
2022-07-26 07:31:18

@CineM I will give another answer. You can use Controller to manage the ER7206 but you need to set up VLANs on the switch to let it match the settings on your controller/ER7206.

For example if you set up ER7206 port 5 with VLAN10 interface, on the switch you need to create a VLAN 10 and it must including the uplink port 1(here is an example, you can choose any port as uplink port) as Tagged. So VLAN 10 has port 1-2, the port 2 PVID should be 10. 

I'm not sure if you can understand these VLAN things it's not easy for new users. Here is an article about the router port and VLAN interface. If you are familiar with 802.1q VLAN you will need this article to congfiure your un-Omada switch.

VLAN configurations of the LAN ports on Omada Gateway in Controller mode

Options
2022-07-26 13:11:28

Somnus wrote

@CineM I will give another answer. You can use Controller to manage the ER7206 but you need to set up VLANs on the switch to let it match the settings on your controller/ER7206.

For example if you set up ER7206 port 5 with VLAN10 interface, on the switch you need to create a VLAN 10 and it must including the uplink port 1(here is an example, you can choose any port as uplink port) as Tagged. So VLAN 10 has port 1-2, the port 2 PVID should be 10. 

@Somnus If you use the controller to manage the ER7206 in that scenario, how will you control the flow traffic between VLANs?  As far as I know, the controller doesn't let you assign ACLs to the switch ports on the ER7206 itself.  Basically you will end up in a situation where you have a bunch of VLANs with traffic routing freely between them.

Options
2022-07-26 15:47:46

Thanks for the feedback! 

Currently don't have any of the equipment so I'm unable to check settings at the moment. I'd like to try setting up the ER7206 in standalone mode, I suspect the option for standalone mode is siimple enough to find in the menus? Is it just as simple to remove it from standalone mode?

Thanks again

Options
Re:Switch with POE and access points on OC200-Solution
2022-07-26 15:51:13 - last edited 2022-07-26 15:56:22

CineM wrote

I'd like to try setting up the ER7206 in standalone mode, I suspect the option for standalone mode is siimple enough to find in the menus?

@CineM If you forget it from the controller it should reset itself and be in standalone mode.  Keep in mind, it will need to be reconfigured after this action.

CineM wrote

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-26 16:00:18

Alex789 wrote

CineM wrote

CineM wrote

@Alex789 Thanks! I'll try this out.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 725

Replies: 6

Related Articles